Router Table Fence Discussion

ResidentEvil

Looking for opinions here. Just finished my router table build, its topped off by a incra table top (24x36). I know I can build one, just not sure I want to.

So looking for opinions on what RT fence you would buy if you were in my position. Best combination of features vs price. I don't want to put any tracks in my table top for fence hold downs, so the fence would need to hang over the side of the table top a few inches in order to clamp it down.

I've looked at Kreg, Woodpeckers, Incra and JessEm fences. I'd love to have the full Incra set up with the joinery jig attachments, but have read some negative reviews. I don't mind putting the money into it, but if I'm going to spend top dollar it had better darn near wipe my rear end for me.

Thoughts?

Regardless of what you choose the features that are the most important to me are...

Ability to close the opening to a minimum or Zero clearance for some cuts.

Ability to micro adjust the fence in and out.

Sturdy and dead square to the table.

Ability to use feather boards to hold work down to the table.

Being able to return to a setting repeatedly is nice but not used that often.

For me, keeping in mind my beginner status, it doesn't seem as important as its ability for good dust collection. What I mean is since the fence is there and always square you're either aligning it with the fence or burying it in the fence as much as you need. My fence doesn't use tracks it just attaches to the router plate with slots in the fence to move around. All around they all seem very similar. If I could afford one I'd go Woodpecker but only cuz my favorite color is red.....

Surprisingly square to the table vertically is not a certainty . I often only move one side of my fence to do slight adjustments so it's not always square to the edges of the top. That only matters if you are using the miter slot.

Dust collection is important but most fences do a pretty good job. The ability to collect dust above and below the table is handy. A powerful vac, a tee and gate valves so you can use above, below or both.

• 5 weeks later...

Extending on PB's comment, the latest issue of Fine Woodworking has plans and a build for an inexpensive router table and fence.   Obviously you don't need the table.  I have used and seen the fence built in action and they work well, especially if combined with shop made feather boards.  One downside of the design is the bit opening, you can't adjust it for clearance, but if you use feather boards you can shield the bit really well for safety purposes.  

Might be a good place to start and if you figure out it doesn't meet your needs later on, go spend money on a fence that does.

Building this fence for my router extension table on my table saw in on my list.  Now to find the time and motivation.

I bought a $300 or $400 bench dog router table and hate it.  It is over engineered and causes more problems than it solves.  Right now I can't get the plate flush with the table so my work always catches when it goes passes from the table to the plate.   So yes, an mdf table and a block of wood for the fence would be better.  90% of the time I am using a bearing on my router bit anyhow so the fence mostly gets in the way.  

It seems lots of guys have a router table as a major focus on their shop.  Watching the NYY or reading WOOD magazine you would think there is nothing more enjoyable that making moldings on your router table.  I design my projects for as little router work as possible.  I freaking hate that thing.

Mine came with a fence but Ive never tried it and don't know where it is. I had an incra for awhile but it just sat so I gave it away. Now thats a goofy set up, cut move the fence cut do it all over again before you know it your old and you still haven't made all your dovetails. 

It seems lots of guys have a router table as a major focus on their shop.  Watching the NYY or reading WOOD magazine you would think there is nothing more enjoyable that making moldings on your router table.  I design my projects for as little router work as possible.  I freaking hate that thing.

I think you need a new one then. Mine is awesome, but to be fair I spent a good deal of time designing and building it. It's basically the NYW deluxe table redesigned to meet my needs. The best thing about it is the fence design in my opinion.

1. it can be micro adjusted

2. the opening can be adjusted or even completely closed

3. it's tall so I can use feather boards, and it also provides a good reference surface for routing sliding dovetails on the ends of boards.

People always say but the best tool you can from the start, but sometimes you just don't know what you need until you go back to basics.

yeah, that's one of those things you have to be careful with. I can remember when I first started buying tools I was just out of college and even $150 for a router seems extravagant to me, today I wouldn't think twice about it.

Micro adjuster

3030_16-oz._wood_rip_hammer_tekton.jpg

I use an Estwing.  I slightly loosen the C-clamp on one end after marking a small line with a fine pointed #4 pencil on the table at the present location of the fence, tap on that end with the hammer until you see if move like you want it relative to the line.  Half a thou at the cutter is no big deal at all, and takes maybe ten seconds for the adjustment.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been traveling a bit for work lately and haven't checked the thread.

My problem kind of got solved for me. My wife asked me for a birthday present list, among the ideas I gave her were the woodpecker and incra super system.

She ended up going all out and got me the incra super system. Its all installed and good to go. Seems to be a pretty steep learning curve, so I have a bit to go before I learn the ins and outs. But it sure looks nice at this point.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been traveling a bit for work lately and haven't checked the thread.

My problem kind of got solved for me. My wife asked me for a birthday present list, among the ideas I gave her were the woodpecker and incra super system.

She ended up going all out and got me the incra super system. Its all installed and good to go. Seems to be a pretty steep learning curve, so I have a bit to go before I learn the ins and outs. But it sure looks nice at this point.

I use an Estwing. I slightly loosen the C-clamp on one end after marking a small line with a fine pointed #4 pencil on the table at the present location of the fence, tap on that end with the hammer until you see if move like you want it relative to the line. Half a thou at the cutter is no big deal at all, and takes maybe ten seconds for the adjustment.[/quote

The estwing is the premium ultra fine adjuster. :)

• 5 months later...