Jig To Cut Logs

Coop

Has anyone made a jig for their band saw to cut small logs into boards? I bought one a couple of years ago from some company in Canada that was doing a presentation at a woodworking show and it is a piece of crap. Their theory was good but the design and construction was bad.  I'm thinking of maybe 10" - 12" dia. logs, 2'-3' long.   

post-2926-0-96893500-1412621225_thumb.jppost-2926-0-40160000-1412621237_thumb.jppost-2926-0-06996100-1412621249_thumb.jppost-2926-0-99237800-1412621265_thumb.jppost-2926-0-45547900-1412621296_thumb.jppost-2926-0-49451700-1412621311_thumb.jppost-2926-0-61745300-1412621326_thumb.jpI just made a runner that fit into my miter slot mounted that to a piece of ply, a fairly long piece in my case, I than put a push fence on the back of log jig I than run this jig through my bandsaw which gives an edge that's flush and straight to the blade I usually split the log in half lay the log on the jig using a couple wedges butt the push fence slide the log over hanging the jig where you want your first cut, now with the wedges stabilize the log saw that edge off. Now you have a straight flat edge turn the log so it's sitting on that edge no need for wedges at this point run it through the saw you have two perpendicular straight edges at this point you don't need the jig anymore just use the fence and, start slicing and dicing. If your using full round I just make a L out of two pieces of scrap ply I set the log on the jig situated where I want to make my first cut slide the l up to the round run a couple dry wall screw into the jig and a couple into the round after the first cut no need for the L anymore.

Not usually just a couple wedges if it sitting wonky once you get a straight flat edge after the first cut no need for the wedges anymore. Like I said in the first post I make an L out of plywood to stabilize the piece with a few screws if it's in the round. 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve & Woodnlegs. I had seen the Carter jig before. It's similar to the one I have now. I think my main problem is that I want to run 3' logs thru mine and I'll probably have to make infeed/outfeed tables to support it, regardless of what jig I use. Probably better and safer to pay to have someone to do it for me. Either that or do like a sane person would do and go to the lumber yard.

• Like 1

No, Those things are huge. I've having a one man saw mill cut those for me. We were supposed to have milled them yesterday but due to a weather front that came thru, we postponed it until next week. I have a few small elm and pecan logs that I would like to slice to use for decorative boxes

• Like 1