How do I save a chunk of wood that's coming apart?

williaty

I bought a small half-round of olive wood the other day because it looked so pretty I couldn’t let it sit in the store any longer. It’s a bit of a gamble, though, as the wood is checked some (which you’d expect) and also has some hairline cracks in it (that I didn’t expect). I realize that wood will do as it wants in the long run, I’m just hoping to get just enough breathing room to get it turned into something. It’s about 1-1.5% higher in moisture content than things that have been in my shop for more than a year, so it has very little drying left to do. However, I’m afraid those hairline cracks might get larger and I lose the whole piece of wood.

My original intent had been to resaw it on the bandsaw into 3 4/4 planks. However, seeing all the cracking now, I’m hesitant to try that as the resulting wood would be very weak. I’m thinking now of re-sawing it into veneer. My concern with that is those hairline cracks. I’d like to try to stabilize the hairline cracks with something so that the wood will hold together long enough to be sawn apart. Obviously, once it’s applied as veneer to a substrate, the substrate will be providing the structural integrity.

FWIW, I’m in no hurry so if the most likely to succeed process involves cutting a slice or two, then re-applying and waiting a day, etc, that’s fine with me. No rush.

The only thing I could come up with is to try to use CA glue to provide just enough structure to get the stuff cut down into veneer. Woodcraft sells a product called Stick Fast CA Finish that comes in a very thin variety. The reason it interests me is that it has a longer open time to wick farther into the wood and it claims to be very slightly flexible (as compared to typical CA glue) once cured. Has anyone tried anything like this or used this product?

Any other advice?

I've used epoxy to stabilize some fragile woods prior to working it. West systems is relatively thin and also can be sucked through with a shop vac as Steve says. Obviously it's not as thin a some CAs can be. I've heard you can add an oil like BLO to CA glue to extend its curing time - and hence its wicking. Never tried it myself but somebody else may know.