PinballIsNotDead Shop Build - Urinal opinions?

websherpa

OK, now that I've sorted out my 16 x 36 x 11' shop build, I have another important decision to make.  To pee, or not to pee?  That is today's question.

Here's a quick shot of my "garage that shall not hold vehicles" build in progress.  My crafts are pinball and slot machine restoration and woodworking (which I trained for, but haven't done in a long time due to lack of space):

15181768208_8fdf588354.jpg 15368046232_2c7af661dd.jpg

I've already arranged for an outdoor rated hot/cold faucet and plumbed laundry sink and drain (connected to stack and drained in house through adjoining wall - it would be at far end, left wall a short length from the man doors at the back).  It's a place to clean-up, eyewash / first aid station, cleaning supplies, etc.

I don't have room for a toilet. And I decided to keep the garage completely isolated from the house (you have to walk out the man doors and up to the house back door).  Yes, I could just step outside, we have a large yard.  And face it, in a "pinch" - who hasn't peed into a laundry tub?

(OK don't all shout out at once.)

But then I got to thinking, what about a urinal to save a few trips into the house or brass monkey balls on cold Canadian winter days?

Plumbed, maybe waterless (I'm worried about the smell, but it could be rinsed from a shower head in the laundry sink) - what do you all think/do?

fig8-2.jpg

I seem to remember reading that you need a certain kind of sawdust for it to work, but considering that any hamsters and guinea pigs our kids have ever had peed in sawdust (and it still reeks), I'm not betting on the neutralization factor of any wood but green pine or cedar. ;-)

I'd opt for the yard and just drink less coffee and beer

There's a lot of wisdom in this. I started researching "waterless urinals" and then started thinking about where I was puttin my time and money at this stage. So I think I am going to cross my legs and put the money towards wood or a beer fridge.

P.S. I got the go ahead from the spouse, a veto from my best friend neighbour's wife and a 'I don't know, could be good, could be bad" from my bfn. And an "oh crap, we just threw out our last two stadium units from Japan." from my other neighbour plumbing wholesaler friend. So I guess the idea isn't going to flush.

For me the detached garage is right beside the house BUT if it's raining, I like to take off my boots to come in sooooo, Powerade bottles have been known to be used. If I had a laundry tub, it may see action too.  Hey...even if you do not install a urinal now, go ahead and plumb it for one and keep looking at Habitat and Salvation Army.  They're often getting things. As far as the plumbing, drill 1/4" holes in a 5 gallon bucket, bury it outside the back wall of the shop and plumb a 2" pipe to it and then you're ready for whatever will go there. Or....look at it like this....you're spending thousands on a shop...take the plunge, plumb it with 3" lines, and buy a regular toilet.  That way you're ready for anything..... :huh:

fig8-2.jpg

I seem to remember reading that you need a certain kind of sawdust for it to work, but considering that any hamsters and guinea pigs our kids have ever had peed in sawdust (and it still reeks), I'm not betting on the neutralization factor of any wood but green pine or cedar. ;-)

NEGATIVE!!

In the end I'm going to put the idea of a urinal on hold for now and wait for a more urgent need (which may translate into toilet) since space is at a premium.  Although I am a fastidious cleaner, my worry still is that the smell of urine, or the cleaners will be overwhelming.