Jointer shipping damage - should I accept it?

Richter

Hi all,

I am relatively new to woodworking.  I've been at it for about a year and decided to buy my own jointer.  I received it yesterday but it was slightly damaged from the shipping company - the base was bent in on two sides.  I ordered it online from amazon and they offered me a 20% refund to keep it.  After all the other discounts, I'd basically be getting a newJet JJ-CSDX for about $650 shipped.  I was leaning toward getting a replacement but I called the manufacturer and they said that it didn't sound like it would affect the function.  Also, they could not come pick this one up and deliver the new one until for 10 days.  

I did not see anything wrong with the jointer itself, just the table - although both boxes were pretty banged up.  The jointer box looked to have taken a worse hit but seemed to have avoided being damaged.  I haven't tried to take it all out and set it up.

I don't really care that much about cosmetic issues, but I am kind of worried that there might be something I am missing and something important is damaged.  I don't think this is the case, but I am being paranoid.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Photos are attached.  Also, since taking the photos, I was able to straighten out the worse of the two sides with some boards and a clamps.  They now both look more like the side with the power cord and not as bad as the pictures.

post-16250-0-57974700-1412704462_thumb.j

post-16250-0-79723900-1412704464_thumb.j

post-16250-0-83342500-1412704466_thumb.j

Honestly, I wouldn't accept it. But since you worked on it since it being delivered, I'm not sure of the possibility of you getting it replaced anymore.

Thanks for the input.  It can still be returned, they don't have a record of exactly what it looked like before and after and the amazon guy said that I could try to fix it.

Thanks for the input. It can still be returned, they don't have a record of exactly what it looked like before and after and the amazon guy said that I could try to fix it.

I can understand a scratch or slight dent, but looking at the picture makes me think it was hit pretty good by something.

Tough call. One way to think about it is like the Grizzly sales or those furniture warehouses: they might have a cosmetic knick, but the prices are stellar and doesn't hurt operation. While I wouldn't be a happy camper, if they're offering a generous discount and you can absolutely confirm the top part of the jointer is perfect and mills fine and the base remains stable, then I 'might' accept it. Jointers aren't complicated machines, but you wanna make sure those tables are flat and adjustable.

But who knows what happened to cause that particular damage, so that's a good reason to return it too.

Yeah, I am not happy about it, but my wife of course wants to save money and I would rather have it earlier.  I can probably straighten it up more if I can find a spreader that I can get more leverage on than a clamp.

Ends of the World, what checks do you think that I should make to see if the jointer itself is damaged?  Just take a straight edge to the tables and fence?

I'd try to straighten it out and keep it.  You can probably get it back into shape and save yourself a nice chunk.  It's a drag to see a new machine arrive in that condition, but a year from now you won't care at all.  It's still got that new jointer smell...remember that it always wears off. :)

Ends of the World, what checks do you think that I should make to see if the jointer itself is damaged?  Just take a straight edge to the tables and fence?

If I was in that scenario, then I would check the tables with a trusty straight edge and maybe loosely calibrate (I say loosely because you might not want to spend a lot of time calibrating something you might be returning). Make sure the wings move smoothly up and down. Check for 90 degrees on the back fence to the tables. Run a board (mind your technique) and see if it's within your tolerances (keeping in mind you'll probably be dialing in the calibration better later). And keep the base in mind too...if it's vibrating or wobbling due to the damage, that's not good. If the dents can be worked out and the jointer stays flat, we're in business.

You say the jointer bed box was damaged and that doesn't sit well with me, but it's quite possible the bed is fine. Another thing to consider too is that Jet has 10% sales all the time, so you have to gauge a 20% dented discount versus a 10% pristine discount. Ultimately it's your scenario to decide what you need and when.

If I was in that scenario, then I would check the tables with a trusty straight edge and maybe loosely calibrate (I say loosely because you might not want to spend a lot of time calibrating something you might be returning). Make sure the wings move smoothly up and down. Check for 90 degrees on the back fence to the tables. Run a board (mind your technique) and see if it's within your tolerances (keeping in mind you'll probably be dialing in the calibration better later). And keep the base in mind too...if it's vibrating or wobbling due to the damage, that's not good. If the dents can be worked out and the jointer stays flat, we're in business.

You say the jointer bed box was damaged and that doesn't sit well with me, but it's quite possible the bed is fine. Another thing to consider too is that Jet has 10% sales all the time, so you have to gauge a 20% dented discount versus a 10% pristine discount. Ultimately it's your scenario to decide what you need and when.

Thanks for the advice!  Also, this is 20% off after it was already 15% off and then -$40 for the Amazon credit card.  So basically $650 with tax and shipping on a jointer that lists for $919.  Granted, I can still get an undamaged unit for $800.  

The jointer box had a couple inch dent but it was on a corner that had like 8-10 inches of foam before it would hit the jointer.  The jointer box was on a pallet and the main part of the jointer was in the middle of the pallet.  In the attached photos the jointer is essentially in the middle of the pallet and the edge would be where the attachement is for the fence.  Fortunately, the big corner dent is in a location where there is nothing but foam.

post-16250-0-67518600-1412708050_thumb.j

post-16250-0-28452600-1412708051_thumb.j

post-16250-0-74505100-1412708051_thumb.j

post-16250-0-05349100-1412708053_thumb.j

post-16250-0-77548300-1412708053_thumb.j

What will you think when you go out to your shop on Sat. morning with a good cup of coffee and open the door and see your new Jet jointer:

1) Damn, I could kick myself for not sending that back  :(

or

2) AHHH, I saved $150 for keeping it and can use the money to buy ______________  :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice!  Also, this is 20% off after it was already 15% off and then -$40 for the Amazon credit card.  So basically $650 with tax and shipping on a jointer that lists for $919.  Granted, I can still get an undamaged unit for $800. 

If that was a foam corner and in a pallet at that, I'm willing to bet the bed is just fine and a 35%+ discount is hard to pass up. Check it for good measure and as said already, shouldn't be too bad to work that dent back out. I put my jointer bed through a wall and it was okay. ;)

Ok, so after talking to Amazon some more it was unclear if Jet's warranty would be affected.... but I was able to talk the guy into a discount and still get the jointer replaced.  So basically I am getting it replaced and getting $100 off for my trouble.  The downside is that my garage/shop floor has a big thing taking up a lot of space for the next 10 days or so and I have to take off work again to deal with it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Like 1

Ok, so after talking to Amazon some more it was unclear if Jet's warranty would be affected.... but I was able to talk the guy into a discount and still get the jointer replaced.  So basically I am getting it replaced and getting $100 off for my trouble.  The downside is that my garage/shop floor has a big thing taking up a lot of space for the next 10 days or so and I have to take off work again to deal with it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

As long as you are happy in the end, that is really what matters. Glad to hear everything worked out for you in the end, especially with that discount on top of it for your trouble. Good luck with your new jointer, when it arrives :)

I've learned the hard way that I'm going to be living with a tool for many years, maybe the rest of my life.  If I compromise to save a few weeks or months I'll end up remembering the compromise long after I've forgotten the delay.

I don't mind buying a "starter tool" in some situations, but if I know what I want and I'm buying a "permanent tool", then I've learned to sweat the details.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am relatively new to woodworking.  I've been at it for about a year and decided to buy my own jointer.  I received it yesterday but it was slightly damaged from the shipping company - the base was bent in on two sides.  I ordered it online from amazon and they offered me a 20% refund to keep it.  After all the other discounts, I'd basically be getting a newJet JJ-CSDX for about $650 shipped.  I was leaning toward getting a replacement but I called the manufacturer and they said that it didn't sound like it would affect the function.  Also, they could not come pick this one up and deliver the new one until for 10 days.  

I did not see anything wrong with the jointer itself, just the table - although both boxes were pretty banged up.  The jointer box looked to have taken a worse hit but seemed to have avoided being damaged.  I haven't tried to take it all out and set it up.

I don't really care that much about cosmetic issues, but I am kind of worried that there might be something I am missing and something important is damaged.  I don't think this is the case, but I am being paranoid.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Photos are attached.  Also, since taking the photos, I was able to straighten out the worse of the two sides with some boards and a clamps.  They now both look more like the side with the power cord and not as bad as the pictures.

My take, for what it's worth:

You're new to woodworking so you have no idea whether you'll maintain interest in the hobby, your interest will stay with you at the current level or you'll want to advance to whatever level...

This isn't a "keeper" tool, either you'll give up on woodworking and sell it to free up space in the basement or you'll want to move up to an 8" or larger as you grow in the hobby and  sell it to trade up. Either way, the damage to the base will cut pretty deeply into resale value which won't be very much to start with.

Send it back.

• Like 1

I am new to this thread but I had a jointer delivered by Yellow freight 10 years ago wwith similar damage. Took me 15 days to work out a replacement with Amazon. I got a replacement and $100 for my trouble. I have the 8" with helic head and the 8' infeed and outfeed tables. I don't know if I have ever used the extra length of the jointer but that is another thread. 

chef

Ok, so I thought I'd share how this was resolved. The original jointer was received on October 6 and was the one I posted about. Amazon gave me $108 off for my trouble, on top of the 15% off sale price, free shipping, and $40 and 12 mo no interest for their credit card.

On October 16, I received a replacement. As they were unloading it from the truck, I noticed a hole in the stand box and that the metal was cracked on the stand. I rejected that one and called Amazon, scheduled another replacement, and negotiated another $156 off.

Today, October 24, I received a replacement. The box again looked crushed, but this time there was no damage. So, I finally have a jointer after a lot of hassle, but at least I got a jointer that lists for $919 for something like $477 plus tax. I guess it was worth it, although I used like 9 vacation hours dealing with it all but that's not that big of deal since I get like 13 a month now.

I ran a few test pieces through and I really like it so far. With regard to the comment that I will probably want an 8" jointer later.. Yes, maybe. Maybe not. I cant retire for like 20 years and at that point I may want to upgrade my equipment, but I will probably have more money to do so then. Right now, I have limited space and thought the 6" would do enough for me.

• Like 1