Need a Durable finish.

JerrySats

I'm refinishing mahogany tables for a local restaurant , I stripped  them totally and I'm down to bare wood . Im using GF gel stain to match the color they were . I usually use either GF preCat Urethane or ML Campbells Aqualente  . I don't think either of these will hold up to the abuse these tables will get daily .  

I talked to my MLCampbell rep and he suggests Krystal with a vinyl sealer under that . Anyone ever use this ?

Also like to hear some other suggestions on a product to use .

Thanks

Enduro-conversion-varnish.jpg

Haven't used it yet but heard good things. It's water-based and actually uses a catalyzer. It's their most durable finish. The Enduro-Var is also very good and was recommended for bar/table tops before the conversion varnish came out.  

-Ace- 

I reached out to GF and this is what they suggested as well . Krystal is a conversion varnish too .   Anyone every spray either of these products ?

General Finishes' Conversion Varnish is actually a isocyanate-catalyzed urethane finish (also known as a 2k urethane) and not a conversion varnish.  You should invest in a supplied air respirator (i.e., not a typical 3M organic filter facemask) if you're working with isocyanates.  You really don't want to become sensitized to isocyanates.  2k urethanes are basically the "paint/clearcoat" that's on your car.  ICA has 2k wb urethanes as does Sherwin-Williams and ML Campbell (among others).

Here's a reasonable chart of different finish systems from the American Hardwood Information Center:  http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/pro/23/257

Conversion Varnish is (5) in the chart and Catalyzed Urethane is (11).

Both systems are suitable for tabletops.

• 2 months later...

Hello Jerry,

I was wondering if you ended up going with the GF conversion varnish and if so how you liked it?

I am nearing the finishing stage for a couple table tops and wanted to use a conversion varnish for its durability but I have never used the product. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken 

I did go with a Conversion varnish but not GF . I used ML Campbells Krystal with a vinyl sealer undercoat. The sealer was recommended do too me refinishing there tables . According to the rep this locks any contaminants under the sealer .   Very happy with the results and it was super easy to spray . The customer was very happy with the finished tables.

Only reason I didn't go with GF was availability and price . I would need to order the GF CA , the price without shipping was higher then the MLC product I can get local . 

Hope this helps you .

Jerry,

Thanks i appreciate the info. I had read some on the M.L.Campbell products as well. You said the majic words "easy to spray".

I have used and sprayed a lot of lacquer, poly, shellac etc..but never a conversion varnish so this will be tredding new territory for me. Normally i would opt for a different finish but like your situation, this project calls for the most durable finish possible.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ken