Does it exist?

collinb

Part of our kitchen project includes the floor.

But after taking out the floating floor it appears that two joists have raise up a bit.

(These two have a heating duct between them, in the basement.)

So it seems that the plan is now to remove the current 5/8" underlayment and then, by partly removing subfloor, plane down the offending joists.

But ... the person I'm discussing the work with wants to take a saws-all to the underlayment up to the currently installed cabinets.  I don't want the damage caused by that jumping blade.  We just got finished painting.  Damage is, to me unacceptable.

I've found a larger flush cut circular saw.  But those cannot get under the front lip of a cabinet.

Are there any 4" zip saws capable of this?  Anything to keep damage down.

(I generally work with those I hire to help and often provide my own tools to help get the job done better/faster.)

• 3 weeks later...

(I generally work with those I hire to help and often provide my own tools to help get the job done better/faster.)

I'm sure they love that. :rolleyes:

That Dremel blade either won't cut through the plywood at all, or will take approximately six and a half years to accomplish the task.  Let the contractor do what he needs to do.  Use some cardboard to protect the cabinets if you fear they'll get damaged.

Whenever I hire work out, I make it abundantly clear to whomever I choose that I am extremely picky, and that shoddy work will not be acceptable.  I'll make sure that they "accidentally" see my shop so they know I'm not oblivious to the trade...then I leave them alone and let them get to work.  I've been in their shoes before, and nothing - and I do mean NOTHING - is more annoying than a homeowner breathing down your neck and trying to "help" while you work.  Unless you're hiring a friend of yours to do the work...they don't want or need your help or tools.  Just so ya know. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure they love that. :rolleyes:

That Dremel blade either won't cut through the plywood at all, or will take approximately six and a half years to accomplish the task.  Let the contractor do what he needs to do.  Use some cardboard to protect the cabinets if you fear they'll get damaged.

Whenever I hire work out, I make it abundantly clear to whomever I choose that I am extremely picky, and that shoddy work will not be acceptable.  I'll make sure that they "accidentally" see my shop so they know I'm not oblivious to the trade...then I leave them alone and let them get to work.  I've been in their shoes before, and nothing - and I do mean NOTHING - is more annoying than a homeowner breathing down your neck and trying to "help" while you work.  Unless you're hiring a friend of yours to do the work...they don't want or need your help or tools.  Just so ya know. :)

I know how that interference thing goes.  Fortunately I've worked in enough team environments to know how to assist someone properly, not hovering over them, but lending assistance when needed or staying out of the way.

For instance, when my handman built a soffet section for me, I set up my miter saw and got out of the way.  But when he used a general-purpose screw to connect two cabinets, I saw the result and immediately grabbed my box of cabinet screws for him.  No sense in splitting wood the way the wrong screw will do.