Griz cyclone electrical hookup

estesbubba

I have the Grizzy G0441 cyclone and running 8-2 with ground romex to it since the manual calls for 40 amp circuit. The manual suggests wiring into a disconnect switch but any reason I can't just put a 40/50 amp socket and run a plug? My breaker box is 10' away so I can easily disconnect power there. The wire running from the control to the motor is 12 gauge which surprised me for a 40 amp requirement. If I can run a plug to a socket, do I use 12 or 8 gauge to it?

Manuals call for disconnect switches for safety / liability reasons. They want you to use a device rated for disconnect under load in case you need to kill that line while it is running. A plug will generally NOT be rated for disconnecting under load, and doing so can result in a dangerous arc flash. Don't make a habit of using the circuit breaker to kill power under load either, as that can quickly shorten the life of the breaker and cause it to fail.

Having said all that, I would probably still just use a plug.

I'm +1 with Steve and the Highlander....be sure of the rating on the plug.  With a cyclone, I don't really see why you'd need to interrupt the power under load which in my mind is 'while it is running' unless there was some sort of hang up in the impeller, you'd want to and you'd want to quickly!   But having said that....This disconnect is $16.74 and at 60 amps, it's a little overkill but the disconnect doesn't act as the weakest link like a breaker anyway.....at that price, why wouldn't you put one in? I just know in that one moment that you might need it, it would be $16 well spent.

On the wire, they probably ran a 12 gauge wire because of the short distance.  If it were me, I'd just wire it to the box at what the manual said or go one gauge heavier on the 10 foot wire.  Since this will be 220V, I'm thinking  a 10/3 would be fine on the 40 amp circuit for 10 feet.