Miter saws

jwebb2011

I have read some previous posts, but I was hoping to get some input towards my current situation. I am debating on picking up a miter saw before my next(second project). I have a few reasons for this, I will have a lot of use for it over the next couple of years, some repairs around the home and what not. But the reason i am debating to buying it now is because i dont have a table saw with a 45* sled available to me to use for my next project.

Now as previously stated this is only my second "furniture" project that I am trying to get started on. So while being a little bit of a perfectionist but allowing myself a little wiggle room because I am by no means an expert wood worker, could I hope to still make a decent piece of furniture using a miter saw for all my cuts? I do have a combo belt/disc sander available to help finish up any rough ends. As well as a joiner and a table top router.

I am not looking at a big fancy 500$+ machine! but I have always found reliability with hitachi machines and i found a very well priced sliding compound double bevel saw that I think i want to pick up. I dont plan on using this for fine woodworking for ever, probably just my next project.

1 more question, any recommendations on a type of saw blade if i do end up picking up the miter saw?

Thanks

Jeremy

You can certainly do 'fine' work with a miter saw. But be prepared to expend extra effort to make your cuts accurate and consistent. Check the saw you want to buy to be sure it moves freely where it should, and doesn't move where it shouldn't. Pick up a small drafting triangle and use it to set the blade at 90 or 45 degrees EVERY TIME YOU MOVE THE BLADE! Unless you purchase a very high end saw (Festool, anyone?), it is very unlikely that the built in angle gauges and detents are accurate. Remeber, these saws are generally marketed toward the construction trades, where tolerances are much larger than in furniture making. As for the blade, it sort of depends on the material you plan to cut. If you are using all sheet goods, maybe a 60 or more tooth blade. For general use, I'm pretty happy with a 40 or 50 tooth 'General Purpose' blade. Keep it clean of pitch build up, helps avoid burn marks on the wood. Always let it spin up to full speed before entering the cut, and feed slow and steady.

The first question that needs to be asked immediately is whether you want a sliding miter saw or just a regular compound miter saw with no sliding feature.

The reason why is that a regular miter saw can be absolutely dead on accurate for regular mitered cuts. Especially those cuts at 90, 45, and 22.5 degrees where stops are typically put in. You absolutely should upgrade the blade to one designed for miter saws. Freud makes some that are fairly inexpensive.

Slidering miter saws are more expensive and less accurate, but give you greater width of cut. There is no reason why a regular compound miter saw can not be used for fine furniture making, especially with 90 degree cuts. You may need to dial it in though when you get it.

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually started thinking about the issue with using a sliding saw, to many moving parts to muck up a cut. I went back to the listing for the saw and it just so happens I was mistaken it is not a sliding saw. But still cuts 4x4 so it will still work for some if my bigger home repairs.

Oh and the piece of work I'm starting now will be made from maple, does that make a difference as far as the blade goes?

I am sorry for some of the dumber questions i will be asking over the next few weeks, but I am very new at this and i still have a lot to learn including most of the basics.

Thanks again

Jeremy

Any compound miter saw on the market can cut maple and 2x4s without any trouble. Beyond that you want one that has a fence that is in some way adjustable (usually there are some screws on the bottom which can be loosened to adjust the fence). This is pretty common though so most saws will have this feature. 

Dewalts are pretty popular saws and you probably can't go wrong with a 10 or 12" dewalt miter saw.

I would get a miter saw blade, which basically just means a crosscut blade, though some are specifically advertised as for miter saws. You can get a decent blade for about 40 to 55 dollars on the cheaper end.

As with most machines, but miter saws especially, you get what you pay for.  I bought a 10" Craftsman miter saw years ago, and paid under $200 for it.  I bought it before I really got into woodworking deep, and it is great for the projects around the house.  Fast forward today, I rarely use it.  The accuracy for the saw just isn't there.  I have a decent table saw, that I got a good miter gauge for it, as well as made a large crosscut sled.  The problem with saw is there is just too much play in it.  I can make one cut and it be spot on, and make another cut, where it is off a bit.