Any opinions on woodpecker t-square?

minorhero

My double square is slipping a bit so I was looking around for other alternatives. I am left with buying basically the same one I currently have (PEC 4" double square) or buying a Starrett or Brown and Sharpe as my upgrades. 

I came across the woodpecker's solution which seems to be this: http://www.woodpeck.com/ottonepctsquare.html

It is basically a smaller version of their t-square. For my purposes I was thinking about their 3" version. 

Wondered if anyone had any experience with using their larger 12" version and if it could work as a double square replacement? 

Obviously the versions I linked are not released so no one can have direct experience with those, but I imagine the 12" version to be pretty similar.

Traditional double or combo square is a more versatile tool, IMO.  I have a 24" Woodpecker T-square and I love it...but for the smaller stuff you can't beat a 4" or 6" standard double square.  Starretts are awesome of course, but Steve turned me on to the PEC seconds from Harry J. Epstein, and I have zero complaints with them...especially at those prices.  If you're having trouble with your current PEC, I'd look into sending it back wherever it came from...there should be a warranty.  Those squares aren't known for having many problems.  They're not as high quality as Starrett...but they're still good.  You may just need to replace the thumbscrew...I believe Epstein sells those, too.

The Woodpeckers tools are hard to resist...I'm a sucker for anything anodized aluminum.  But when you boil it down, I don't see any advantage with those particular squares.  They are pretty, though.

15 bucks...

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Squares/7104-4R.html

4inch2pcsquare.jpg

Epstien sells the thumbscrew and bolt for just a couple of bucks. They also fit my Starrett and General combo squares.

I have the 4" and 6" Woodpeckers Saddle T Squares. They are amazing at drawing lines parallel to the edge of a board. The 4" one lives in my pocket most days in the shop.

Personally, I'd follow Steve's advice and see if I could get a replacement part...

After that, I'd spend the cash on a 6 or 12 inch Starrett combo.   The 6" fits the apron nicely, and the 12 can accept 6, 12, 18, or 24 inch blades.   The extra blades are fantastic straight edges when out of the head, wide enough to stand up, but thin enough to accurately mark.  Starrett 1" wide blades can also fit a center finding head, that can double as a saddle square, as well as a protractor head.  Metric versions of the same rules, compatible with all the 1" wide accessories, are also available, should you buy a Domino or other metric tool.

Just to follow up on your initial question...

I have one of the older versions of this tool. Actually the 6" version. I use is quite a bit. Kiki is right by stating that an actual square is more versatile.

Like the other Woodpecker tools I have, I didn't know how much I'd use them until I had them. Now, I find them indispensable. The good thing about the Woodpecker is it can be used to check the size of multiple parts very quickly. Simply register the part against the stop, and look at the numbers. Quick and simple. Also makes repeatable layouts a breeze. No need to move the rule for another mark.