Workshop Safety... This can happen to you!

croessler

A good friend had a fire in his shop this week. He was always very aware of safety when using the different tools etc...

What took out his entire shop was a bad electric cord to his lathe. It was plugged in and it failed, overheated and caught fire. he lost decades worth of tools he had acquired. We focus a lot on the personal protective gear but rarely seem to focus on items like your cords and extensions. Make sure you unplug your tools when not in use and every so often make sure the cords, connectors and outlets are in good shape.

Fortunately this shop was not attached to the house or this retired shop teacher would have lost everything.

Regards,

Chris

I’ve got some extra kit going spare – mostly hand-tools, block planes, measuring/marking, old extension cords (just kidding) – mostly the smaller stuff that we tend to take for granted (ex. for some reason, I’ve got three Festool tape measures)… If he pulls-together a prioritized list, I’d be happy to sift through my back cupboard for spare gear…

I'm probably like most WTO members: lots of stuff that i don't use much anymore -- the extra tape measure, extra compass, do I really need two complete sets of French curves, why exactly do I have two sets of dovetail bits (I don't even use a router for dovetails -- we'll OK, sliding dovetails), etc, etc -- it's not much, but the little things do add up. For example, I've got a nice little Stanley blockplane that I must have gotten twenty years ago, tuned-up and looking spiffy (is that still a word?), but hasn't been touched since I got the LN/LA-block -- it's not a bad plane, it's just going spare. Same with a couple of marking gauges -- I've got about eight -- do I need eight -- how many have I used since getting a TightMark --- they're all great gauges, but half are probably going spare. Also, a woodworker's workflow changes through time: I'm sure I've got a plate-jointer somewhere, but the last time I used it was probably one week prior to FT's Domino hitting the shop... If he comes-up with a needs-list, I bet a half-dozen WTO members could fulfill the small stuff in no time...