Kiki Bro, you be ok?? Arachnophobia

Tpt life

Nah, I'm on the other side of the river where it's safe.  But I do have a house for sale right next door to Ferganistan, in Florissant.  I'm sure it's helping. :rolleyes:

Oh man...for a minute I was like "uh the other side is not supposed to be the safe side"...I thought you meant the other side of the Mississippi. 

If I were on the other side of the Mississippi, I'd be in Illinois. :)  Even though they do call it East St. Louis.  But it's Illinois.  I'm on the west side of the Missouri River, which is a sea of middle class suburbia.  Biggest crimes you find out here are drunk driving and low-level tax evasion.

If I were on the other side of the Mississippi, I'd be in Illinois. :)  Even though they do call it East St. Louis.  But it's Illinois.

Well we don't think any higher of Central and Southern IL than you do despite being the same state. =p

I'm on the west side of the Missouri River, which is a sea of middle class suburbia.  Biggest crimes you find out here are drunk driving and low-level tax evasion.

My brother lives in St. Charles, and definitely agree that whole area is a giant suburban sea...directions are like take a left on puffy cloud lane, right on rolling creek drive to enter shimmering sea estates and then a right on fluffy bunny boulevard.  Ugh.

• Like 2

Well we don't think any higher of Central and Southern IL than you do despite being the same state. =p

My brother lives in St. Charles, and definitely agree that whole area is a giant suburban sea...directions are like take a left on puffy cloud lane, right on rolling creek drive to enter shimmering sea estates and then a right on fluffy bunny boulevard.  Ugh.

My brother lives in O'Fallon and I couldn't agree with you more. We only get there to visit once or twice a year and everytime we go there is another street or highway with s silly @$$ name. even the GPS has trouble keeping up with it. :)

I live in "flat land" Kansas where east is east and west is west and we hope the trains don't meet. :)

Rog

Well the streets in my neighborhood are named after celestial objects, so I'm only moderately embarrassed.  I've seen stupid names for streets in every city I've ever been to.  You can only name so many Broadway before you gotta start calling them something else. :)

Yeah, Kansas is a straight-up grid, ain't it?  Kansas City is definitely easier to navigate than St. Louis.  You wanna get really confused, try Boston.  Their roads started out as cow trails...and cows apparently don't know much about city planning.

The streets in West Philly are named Chestnut, Walnut, Locust, Spruce, Pine, Cedar, Hazel, Larchwood, Osage, etc.  But, 90% of the trees on all of these streets are sycamores.  Beautiful, old, 5 story tall sycamores.

Then there are the streets that don't fit the grid pattern.  These are old wagon trails that are named after their destination: Baltimore, Lancaster, Haverford.

I like street names that are descriptive, like Baltimore, Broad, Market, Main.  It reminds me of a time before governments saw streets as naming opportunities, and people just gave streets nick-names to describe them.

I'd hate to tell you what the folks from Downstate Illinois think of the Chicagoland area. Blaggo. Ryan, Quinn. Best license plate makers in the whole USA. 

I'd hate to tell you what the folks from Downstate Illinois think of the Chicagoland area. Blaggo. Ryan, Quinn. Best license plate makers in the whole USA. 

Well true to form, most Chicagoland people don't care what the downstate people think as long as they keep paying their state taxes to fund CTA/Metra. =p =p =p     (That comment would have my aunt who lives in Southern IL raging for hours about Chicago this Chicago that...she makes it too easy.)

Some of my brothers live in west Michigan and I haven't decided if the street naming scheme there is genius or laziness.

Roads that run north and south are 1,2,3,4........

Roads that run east and west are A,B,C,D...........

I like it it makes it easy for directionally challenged people, like myself, to know what direction they are heeding. If the streets numbers are getting bigger your going north.

My brother lives on KT.

I would guess they skip some letter combos like DR or ST.

That would be funny "what road do you live on" "DR Dr"..

Of course, there are arachnids... and then there are arachnids with a capital 'A':

blondi01_zps46fb628f.jpg

This is a small specimen of Theraphosa blondi. Today's NYTimes reports a researcher finding a specimen, “The size of a puppy”... Now, we're a spider-friendly family... We're all about catch/release for daddy-long legs, crickets, et al… If we find a lost critter inside, we'll relocate him/her/it… But if a, “Puppy-sized” arachnid happened into my shop... Well, a 28g would be the order of the day… I’ve got this nice Spanish field gun…

<edit>

BTW: Does this resonate? How many times have you wandered into the kitchen still laden with sleep -- rather like a bear foraging for his morning meal -- only to be confronted with an upside-down glass in the middle of the floor? The only hint to late-night activities being a Post-It directing Bwana, the great White Hunter, to, “Take care” of the offending small creature that haplessly wandered into camp...

And how many ignored said glass and, upon reaching the fridge, found sustenance, only to wander back to bed with the phrase, "What glass?" committed firmly to memory --- ready for quick retrieval...

• Like 1