Growth Chart with routed recessed numbers

wouldwurker

Commissioned by my wife to make this 'ruler' growth chart. With stained 'watermarks' for each foot of height.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/112871534382793140/

I don't much care for using stain, and the ones I've seen in person were not well executed, so I turned it up a notch by recessing the large 'watermarked' numbers instead.

Used the Broadway font in MS Word (Empire State Building font) and knifed the outline into my board. Colored in with pencil and hogged out freehand with a straight bit. Edges and sharp corners still need a little cleanup with a chisel.

I'll use a paint pen for the actual ruler marks after cleaning up, sanding, and seal-coat'ing.

fc162535de287c42e490a065f62a57c4.jpg

Ha. Right now I set up a test board to see how different finishes work with a paint pen or maybe even a sharpie. I am concerned that an oil will really make any rougher edges of my letters look inconsistent and dark. And I don't want to sand too much and round them over or I'll get bubble letters. Seal coat should work fine,but won't exactly pop any grain. Without sealing it first, the paint pen really runs across the grain even when sanded to 320

Score a line that gets deeper at the edge and stops maybe 3/8 in at the surface, then cut a bevel down to the line and pop a triangular chip out. Seal and paint the bevel. You don't even have to be super careful w the paint, a quick sand will clean it up.

Probably more time to lay out the measurements than to cut the bevels. Practice on scrap !

Sort of , try shaving the angle much shallower. All you need is a very slight recess. 1/16 deep is enough to paint and sand without touching the color. With a razor sharp chisel it should be effortless.

Maybe if you make a pencil mark about an 1/8 from your knife mark it would give you more consistent bevel.

• 2 weeks later...

Three coats of seal coat with light sanding in between. Finally got to a point whew the paint doesn't bleed into the grain.

Few snafu's (hey Zinssser, how about a warning that says DO NOT USE OVER PAINT). I tried putting a coat of shellac over the paint and it all smeared and dissolved. :(

re sanded. Resealed. Repainted.

Just needs the numbers 900b8a99a828155115c95b5b596c16b0.jpg