Walnut sapwood

jeffkt2

Hi,

I just built a walnut coffee table, and I couldn't get away from including sapwood in about 25% the top. Has anyone had experience trying to stain the sapwood to try to get it to match? Is it too much work?

I also saw another thread about finishing walnut using poly/oil. Do people just use Arm-R-Seal with no oil base? I generally like the oil finish on other projects I've done since it deepens the color alot. Maybe it's not necessary for walnut...

Thanks!

Dye it...   Easily done with dyes like Behlen Solar Lux or it's sister Mohawk product, Lockwood Dyes, or thinned TransTint.   Practice on prepared scrap.

You're not shooting for an exact match, just a "harmonizing" or "less contrast". 

Walnut sapwood, especially in air dried stock, can look good on certain items, but it's not everyone's taste, and can be a tad crazy in larger pieces. 

The challenge with walnut is that the heartwood lightens with age. So if you dye the sap wood to match the heart wood now, in a few years, the dyed sap wood will be darker than the heart wood after the heart wood lightens.

I tend to avoid the situation all together by either cutting away the sap wood or just accepting it as a characteristic of a natural material and not trying to hide it. Anything less than a perfect match tends to look very artificial to me. And a perfect match now won't be a perfect match in a few years.

• Like 2