Woodworking's fringe benefits

So we all love seeing that finished chest of drawers / rocking chair / grand father's clock / pencil box. But I'm sure everyone will agree; that is only half of the joy of woodworking. I'm keen to hear what the other aspects of woodworking is that you enjoy.

- I love the solitude of it. Being busy in the workshop with just my thoughts and the songs in my head.

- I love the smell of worked wood, some species more so than others. I particularly like the smell of Teak and Imbuia.

- I love the sound that a well set up hand plane makes as it slices long thin slivers of wood.

- Seeing neatly interlocking dovetail joints just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

- I love peeling dried wood glue from my fingers.

I can probably keep listing another few pages but let's hear your fringe benefits.

Typically it's the beginning, and the end of a project.  Love seeing the appearance of the wood change as it's being milled from rough to work-able lumber, also seeing how it looks when everything has come together and the first coat of finish is applied :P

Lately, (particularly this past weekend) it's the help I get on a Sunday morning before football starts... My 4yr old Daughter laying down some GF milk paint :D

10404371_709089269160523_253814401413869

• Like 2

I enjoy taking snapshots from the time it is a rough cut board (s) until it is a finished object. I take a shot or two of each step as I go. Then later on it is fun to go back through the sequence of pictures just to see them. Even though I already knew how it went. 

Also, it it is fun to show the person who now owns the item just what went into making it. They seem to really enjoy seeing just what it takes to build something without having to stand for hours in a room full of sawdust. :)

The pictures also help if and when I have to do another similar item and can avoid some of the mistakes I did on the first one. :)

Rog 

• Like 2

There was a time when my job was to actually produce something, given it was software so it was a bit ethereal, but I still got to see the result of my labor. These days I really just get to see proposals, contracts, sales forecasts, and P&L sheets. The part of me that wants to create something found an outlet in woodworking.

In less than two years of learning learning and trying to build skills, I've found woodworking to be more personally rewarding than any other recreational pursuit I've followed.

• Like 1

I like how women throw themselves at you when they find out you're a manly man craftsman type of guy who summons miracles with his hands.  Then she sees my wedding ring and weeps.  I'll pat her on the head and say, "There, there, it's gonna be okay.  I'm sure you'll find your own manly man one day."  She kneels at my feet, hangs her head and mumbles, "But I want you."  And I say, "Sorry, I'm taken.  Now go on and beat it."  It's exhausting.

It's time to get out the boots, cause it's gittin deep :D

• Like 1

I like how women throw themselves at you when they find out you're a manly man craftsman type of guy who summons miracles with his hands.  Then she sees my wedding ring and weeps.  I'll pat her on the head and say, "There, there, it's gonna be okay.  I'm sure you'll find your own manly man one day."  She kneels at my feet, hangs her head and mumbles, "But I want you."  And I say, "Sorry, I'm taken.  Now go on and beat it."  It's exhausting.

And then you wake up and find out Darla is just using you to make Alfalfa jealous.

• Like 2

I like that the wife has stopped asking me to go look at furniture.  Because I'll bring a camera and a pad of graph paper with me, and spend time dissecting the furniture and criticizing it for mechanical joints.  (Loudly and in earshot of anybody who will ask me to leave.)

(I don't like that she will now just purchase the furniture, rather than ask me to make it.... guess I need to clear off some projects from the honey-do list.)

• Like 2

Great post!

• The first glimpse of a project gaining skeletal structure
  • Waking up earlier (when it's still dark) and getting to work on a legacy
  • Being surprised at how much faster projects get done
  • No stress-knots in my shoulders from sitting tense at a desk
  • The conversation starter to colleagues from some random stain on my arm
  • Running my hand over a piece while passing it
  • Like 1