Powermatic Jointer Cleanup

shuflid

For those of you who saw my earlier post about my jointer tapering, I finally got the jointer all tore apart. I plan on using Rockler's Pitch and Resin Remover with a wire brush for cleanup. Next I will dry thoroughly. Should I lubricate the ways and if so what type of lubrication? The manual does not mention this.post-15960-0-46641400-1413243249_thumb.jpost-15960-0-17009100-1413243250_thumb.jpost-15960-0-86533100-1413243250_thumb.j

At the risk of causing problems in another thread :), I'll vote for Dry Moly Lube: http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=03084... The key to dry-moly is that it attracts less dust/gunk/etc to your kit. Perfect for trunnions, chain-based router lifts, etc. The moly sold today is an improved version of the original molybdenum disulphide formulations (which had mixed results). Today's formulations add-in a bit of PTFE (Teflon) for good measure... On downside, Moly can stain badly. So backstop your target area to capture over-spray... A paper towel behind the trunnion/parallelogram/lift is fine. Or spray onto a surface and use an acid brush to transfer (my method).

Now, some folks have garage shops in really rust prone areas (think water front shop at Lake Pontchartrain). For those, CorrosionX is about as good as you can get: http://corrosionx.com/. OK, it's expensive, but heavily used in marine and aircraft applications -- and those guys know rust and lube.

Final note: with lube and sawdust -- less is more.... you really don't need a lot of lube...

• Like 1