The "Hourly" Chifferobe Update

ChetlovesMer

Hour number 10:

Okay we've reach double digits in hours. The hours are really starting to add up now.
Hour number 10 was from 10PM until 11PM last night.

Since I had set up the table saw to make the rails and styles back in hour 9, it was a pretty easy task to knock out some rails and styles for the door. I did not use my dado blade for this, just a standard flat bottom blade, I flipped each piece to center the dado in the piece. I made the dado just under 1/4". I cut the tenons with the blade in exactly the same set up. Used a shop made jig (Okay it's a piece of plywood with a piece of maple glued to it) to make the tenons on the same set up. I love this method because you don't have to re-set-up your table saw. You make the dados in the rails and the styles, AND cut the tenons without touching the table saw set-up. It DOES require you to clean up the shoulders on the tenons with a shoulder plane. (IMO - The best shoulder plane in the world is the LV medium shoulder plane... sorry LN and Stanley.)

Here's how far I got this hour. This is the door dry fit together and clamped so I could check square-ness (is that a word?) of the joinery.

post-2771-0-25019600-1413899803_thumb.jp

Ken, The joint I used on the drawer sides is actually called a drawer joint.

If you google image search for "drawer joint" you'll get many versions of it.

Not sure when I learned it, I've been using it a long time.
I know that page 27 of Woodsmith Magazine Vol. 34 / No. 202 has a little break out box at the bottom of the page all showing how to do it. But you can certainly find all kinds of information on the drawer joint all over the web.

There's a picture of my dry fit of the joint shown in hour number 8.

Also look here: http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2010/08/26/tongue-and-dado-joint/

post-2771-0-63452200-1414512339_thumb.jpOkay, so the grandparents wanted to see their grandchildren and we ended up having house guests for a few days. Ergo, no work was done on this project until Sunday morning.

Anyway, back in business: Hour number 11:

Hour eleven took place Sunday morning. I nearly completely finished the door during this hour. The first thing I did was to do a round over on the inside edge of the rails and stiles on the door. Then I assembled the doors with a couple of pre-finished flat panels and glued it up.

Here's a picture of the door after completing it.

Hour number 12 was also Sunday morning.

It was a pretty good hour. I made the drawer fronts. The drawer fronts are super simple for this project. They are simply maple planks cut to fit the opening with a simple round over. You can see the drawer fronts leaning against the chifferobe in one of these two pictures I grabbed when the timer went off. You can also see the door balanced in the door opening.

post-2771-0-52731300-1414512785_thumb.jp

The other thing I did in this hour was to finish fitting up the door. To do that I used my LV bevel-up jointer plane. BTW - "If you have the means I highly recommend picking one of these up." This plane cuts sweeter than honey and fits my hands like it was built for me. ... Have I mentioned I love LV planes? You can see the plane if you look closely in the other picture below.

Anyway I finished fitting up the door. It's ready to go except for final sanding.

post-2771-0-19750700-1414512758_thumb.jpHour number 12:

Hour number 13:

Hour number 13 also occurred Sunday morning.

I wasn't all that productive this hour. But I did fix something that was bothering me. There was a gap at the top of one of the legs where it meets the top trim. It was sort of driving me crazy. So I filled the gap and sanded it smooth. You can still see the boo-boo, but now you pretty much have to be looking for it. This is the only hour I didn't take a picture at the end. Instead I took this picture after fixing the part that was bothering me. After fixing that bit I finished sanding the entire case, then headed back to the house for a late breakfast.

post-2771-0-93557600-1414513418_thumb.jppost-2771-0-40583400-1414513455_thumb.jp

Hour number 14:

Hour number 14 was yesterday morning form 4AM to 5AM.

I added the two clothes bars and sanded like crazy. All the drawers and the loose shelves got finish sanded. Most of it was done with the ROS, some by hand. When the timer went off everything was pretty much ready to take a finish.

Just for fun, I leaned the unit back and placed in the drawer fronts, the shelves, and the door. This is pretty much how it will look when complete. Of course there will be hardware and the color will be a little richer.

post-2771-0-74385200-1414513826_thumb.jppost-2771-0-74751900-1414513844_thumb.jp

Hour number 15:

This hour was between about 4 and 5PM last night.

I applied a coat of wipe on poly to everything that needed it. I make the wipe on poly myself. It's a very easy recipe. 1 part poly, 1 part mineral spirits. Then I rag this on. All the plywood I used was pre-finished so I only had to hit the maple hardwood parts and the pine drawers. It was a beautiful afternoon yesterday so I did a bunch of it outside.

post-2771-0-05193500-1414514392_thumb.jp

bgreenb, Those "rails" are the edges of some walnut that I planed the other side of and than ran through the table saw. What's left is those edges which I use all the time on some super cheepo saw-horses to support work pieces.

Pre-finished parts... I do NOT tape around them. I used to. But I found out that if you wipe carefully even if you get "a little" new poly on the prefinished parts it blends to the point where you can not tell.... AS LONG AS you wipe in the direction of the grain on the pre-finished parts.

Hour number 16:
Hour number 16 happened last night from about 9PM until 10PM.

Basically hour number 16 looked just like hour number 15. I hit all the parts I finished with 220 sanding sponges and then put a second coat on them with the wiping varnish. (1/2 poly + 1/2 mineral spirits.)

By the way, I decided NOT to count the 4 hours I was in the house hanging out with the family waiting for the first coat of finish to dry. I figured those aren't really work hours.

Hour number 14:

Hour number 14 was yesterday morning form 4AM to 5AM.

I added the two clothes bars and sanded like crazy. All the drawers and the loose shelves got finish sanded. Most of it was done with the ROS, some by hand. When the timer went off everything was pretty much ready to take a finish.

Just for fun, I leaned the unit back and placed in the drawer fronts, the shelves, and the door. This is pretty much how it will look when complete. Of course there will be hardware and the color will be a little richer.

attachicon.gifThe Chifferobe Hour 14.jpgattachicon.gifThe Chifferobe Hour 14a.jpg

Darn this is looking awesome. Nice recovery on the small gap in previous pic.

Outstanding work, Chet. I like the hardware choice, and thanks for making many of us look really bad. :D

Thanks, I'm happy with it, and with some of the choices I made to get it done speedily. Later on, I'll critique it myself and perhaps even start another thread to discuss ways to make the process speedy and even some places I would have liked to have spent more time if the schedule would have allowed.