wood for mallet

Scott Bailey

This might be crazy but I have found a article on the web for using your drill press and a flat wood chisel to turn wood. I think that I will try to make a handle tomorrow after the glue dries...

Chef

everywhere I've read has said to not do this.. something about the bearings on the DP not being made to handle those lateral forces, where as a lathe is built to handle just that. Buuuut... that's just what I've read around here. No practical knowledge on my part.  :ph34r:

i made mine by taking a long piece of wood (16 inches or so) and cut a long miter at 1 degree down both "wide" sides, then used a rasp and sandpaper to round the handle starting about 4 inches from the fat end to the shape that I liked.  the very slight "V" shape to it lets it sit nice and tight in the mortise of the hammer head.   no turning involved.  i have seen some plans that call for a round mortise though, that may be what he's doing. 

i think for something like this, whatever works ... eh... works!  i actually enjoyed slowly shaping the handle with a rasp, I could hear paul sellers in my head (we're really working the wood now!).  but if I were in a bigger hurry, the roundover bit probably works perfectly.  also, I had fun rigging clamps and stopblocks on my sliding miter to make the long 1 degree cuts too.  probably didn't win any contests but every little thing I do, I learn something, which = FUN, and for a hobby, one can't beat that.

• Like 2