Which Craiglist Drill Press Would you get and Why?

chefmagnus@grics.net

OK I am new to buying tools. Here is a list of the drill presses available in my area and nearby. Please tell me why you would chose each one that is your pick. I plan on using them to drill steel to upgrade the fences on my table saw and band saws as well as those that also belong to my family members.

Craftsman 1950's Vintage Drill Press - $150

https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4668298733.html

Masterforce 12" Drill Press - $200 

https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4671302626.html

Enco 17" drill press - $250 (Peoria)

https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4700751580.html

Delta Rockwell Drill Press Bench Model - $125
https://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4636587165.html

Delta drill press - $75

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/tls/4681587982.html

Delta heavy duty drill press - $300

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/tls/4668496072.html

Thank you Chef

Chef, first, I'd check with the sellers to see if they're still available. A few of those posts are a month old.. one is 2 months old. Around me, if it's still available, there's usually something wrong (or just asking too much). Good stuff and fair prices last maybe a couple days to a week. 

With all that said, the Enco looks alot like my Marc 1. (80's Taiwan made) Works well for my needs, but not completely true. Very functional, but nothing fancy. I need to break it down and clean it a bit more than I did when I first got it, and maybe replace a bearing. The delta heavy duty looks like the newest, and beefiest of the bunch. That would probably be my choice so you don't need to purchase another DP anytime soon, but it's also the most expensive. I'd buy the best you can afford and need for the task at hand. If that means a $75 bench top, so be it. It's probably more than enough for most project needs. My dirt ol gal only set me back $50, but has taken some scrubbing to clean up. 

Chef, My opinion only, with limited experience (2 -3 yrs) using a drill press for woodworking. I have a 2 yo Harbor Freight floor model. It has worked very well. I also have a HF floor model here at my business that we have used for about 20 years w/ no problem and we use and neglect the heck out of it. Having said that, first you need to decide if a bench model will work for your needs. If so, I would just get the Delta 10" simply because it cheap and looks in good shape. If you need a floor model, then I would get the Master Force or the Delta floor model. Again because they are newer looking and I feel you'll get better mileage than with the older ones. If you need one that you will be using for your livelihood, then I would spend more money and get you a hunker!  

I talked to the owner of the Delta 17-950L and I can go and see it around the first of the month because he had to have a surgery. He did tell me that the forward and backwards tilt handle on the table broke off when they unloaded the drill press. He is going to take the cost of getting a replacement table from the $300. I have looked and the table costs from $48-$72, but every listing says to contact depot for availability. Is this a life ender for this drill press or is this fixable?  

I am going to make pot racks out of bar steel and need to drill lots of holes for the cross members that form a mess to hold up pan lids.  I know of at least 5 of these that I will have to make. The steel has to be strong enough that it can support large cast iron dutch ovens and cast iron skillets...

Chef

None of these are stellar deals in my opinion. I like to buy older tools and do a refurb, this can be inconvenient as it takes a little while to get operational, but I do feel like I come out ahead. If you are comfortable replacing bearings and belts then vintage might work for you. All that being said- my buddy recently paid 40 for a craftsman model 50 like the one you show so 150$ is not a good deal.

Assuming that they have straight quills and the motors run without smoking I'd say either the old Craftsman(which I think is a Walker-Turner but I could be mistaken) or the Enco.

The Enco with 17" capacity probably has a longer stroke(drilling depth) than the Craftsman which is probably 3-1/2". That's important when doing multiple operations like drilling and countersinking. Plus it's a 17" vs. the Craftsman at 14-15" so you could potentially drill to the center of a 16" panel. And it has a Baldor motor, a big plus.

The old Rockwell is a sweet press but it's only 15" and IIRC only has either a 3-1/8 or 3-1/2" stroke.

If you're wanting a project and are handy with rebuilding machines the Craftsman or Rockwell would be really cool. Personally, if the Enco had a 6" stroke and wasn't too beat up that would be my choice.

The newer Deltas are just junk, don't waste your time.

HTH,

Bill

For drilling mtal you really want the bit moving slowly. I would go for the one that has the slowest rpm option. Which is probably the heavy duty delta. Talk him down to 200 and don't worry about moving the table forward and backward.

Depends on what size drill bit is being used.  A .050" bit runs a lot faster than a .5" bit.  For pots and pans a 1/4" size or so should be plenty strong, unless it has a really long moment arm.  1/4" bits don't need to be run that slowly. 

Also keep in mind with larger sized bits it is best to drill through first with a smaller bit and step up the size of the bit instead of trying to drill a larger hole all at once.  And if this is stainless steel it will be a major pain to drill, splitting the point very helpful on that.

I have decided on the floor model slight older Delta 17-950, The major deciding factor was the cast in the USA sticker on it. It did have a busted adjustment handle. But they honored a warranty claim cause it had not been registered. I talked the selled down to $225 before I knew that I was going to get the parts for free. So I vote that you become a craiglist hawk...

Chef 

Ponderingturle,

The bar stock that I use for the pot racks is 0.120"x 2.25" 304 stainless steel. So it is a bit of a bitch to drill. Don't tell DeWalt that I used a cordless drill to make the first three. They killed the motors in 2 different drills that I got warranty replaced.  After drilling all the holes, I bend a piece of bar stock into a rectangle and then have a friend tig weld the end together and tap weld all the ends of the 1/4" cross rods. I have agreed to bring my smoker over and host a couple cookouts in exchange for his services. Would I gain that much by starting with a 1/8" starting bit then a 1/4" bit? Will things go quicker next set that I make now that I have a drill press or should I save the drill press for wood only?

Ponderingturle,

The bar stock that I use for the pot racks is 0.120"x 2.25" 304 stainless steel. So it is a bit of a bitch to drill. Don't tell DeWalt that I used a cordless drill to make the first three. They killed the motors in 2 different drills that I got warranty replaced.  After drilling all the holes, I bend a piece of bar stock into a rectangle and then have a friend tig weld the end together and tap weld all the ends of the 1/4" cross rods. I have agreed to bring my smoker over and host a couple cookouts in exchange for his services. Would I gain that much by starting with a 1/8" starting bit then a 1/4" bit? Will things go quicker next set that I make now that I have a drill press or should I save the drill press for wood only?

Yes you would.

Also good sharp bits with a split point will help too.  I have drilled through 2" stainless box about that thick with a corded hand drill .  So I am suprised you killed the motors.  When I split the hell out of the point of one drill bit it cut through nicely that I could drill 5/32" holes with out a problem with a hand drill.

It will be easier on the drill press as you can get higher forces on the material.  Keep in mind that 304 stainless is going to be hell on your drill bits so you might need to sharpen them or replace them a few times on this project.  But as you are only going for a 1/4" size that can be drilled with out huge difficulty in 304 stainless provided you use the right bit.

I have a local hardware store that sharpens bits for 35 cents. There are 48 holes in each pot rack. And the 1/4" stainless rods will hold hundreds of pounds of cast iron kettles. I use 3/8" chain from four corners attached to four heavy duty hooks attached to eye bolts screwed into rafters. 

Chef

PS most people who see mine want one. 

It will also pay to get some good cobalt steel drill bits instead of just HSS.  Don't cheap out on the drill bits when you are drilling stainless.

If I was doing it I would probably get something like

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-63116-4-Inch-135-Degree/dp/B00BRGKB3C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1413912154&sr=8-8&keywords=1+4+cobalt+drill+bit

Gives you enough bits to drill a few holes before needing to go out and get the bits sharpened.  And be sure to use a punch like an automatic center punch at the least to control where you start drilling.  I wouldn't try to use a cordless drill, but a 3/8" Milwaukee corded hand drill worked well for me when I needed to drill 300 series stainless when I couldn't use a drill press or milling machine.