Jet 18" bandsaw mobile base question

chefmagnus@grics.net

My garage is my shop and it has a very uneven floor. The wheels on commercial bases get stuck and have broken off in the past. The woodworker shop has given up and given me my money back.

So I need another solution. My jointer and table saw both have 4" wheels and can take the rough terrain. I have added a cast iron table from a worksite table saw as my resaw fence. It goes from the table to just below the arm of the saw. It is bolted onto the existing fence and works great for resawing. It takes all the pressure that I can apply to it without bowing or flexing. The down side it adds about 120 lbs to the 460 lbs band saw. So I want to fabricate a mobile base that uses 200# castors on each corner. I don't want to add more than a 1" or 2" to the total height because it is already kinda tippy.  Does someone out there have plans for a mobile base that uses 4" wheels but doesn't raise the band saw 4"?  

Chef

The base just needs to be a "box" about 3" deep. The legs of yhe saw go inside, resting on the bottom. The casters go on the outside, mounted below the overhanging ledge of the top. Here is a video illustrating how to make one that lowers the tool to the floor while in use.

Retractable Casters for Power Tools: http://youtu.be/7TTnb3TyH5Y

Best solution is to use metal and weld. If you can't do that than you are left with wood. The problem with wood is with that much weight your base is prone to crack with your wheels pushed out from under the saw. I wouldn't worry about tipping issues as much as raising the table 6" higher and thus might making work at that height uncomfortable.

If you are set on the wheels being on the sides then you need to really reinforce the heck out of your base. Use hardwood and count on needing at least 8/4 lumber 3+ inches in width.