Redwood Fence Post finishing

greener

I've read all posts and topics on fence posts and in a perfect world I would be using pressure treated lumber.  But I am making a high-end fence using Mangaris (tropical hardwood) and it is painful to install that beautiful wood on top of a 4x4 PT post.  The lumber is 2x2 horizontal strips with 1 inch space so the post will be seen from the front.  And not really feasible in terms of cost to do the whole thing in tropical wood.

so having said the above and the fact we live in Southern California (less rain than other parts of the world) I want to see if we can use a 4x4 redwood post with a Thompsons or some other exterior varnish.   The posts will be sunk into concrete first and maybe 1 or 2 inches of the boot will touch any soil if any.

Any suggestions on finishing would be very much appreciated!

I would not sink in concrete. Concrete wicks moisture. The post will last longer with a deep concrete pad and then a gravel fill that does not trap anywhere near as much moisture against the post. Coatings are a little out of my experience range, but if you seal the bottom then moisture will enter the exposed top end grain and travel downward anyway. It may be best to simply let the post breathe.

Edited this post, jumbled my words earlier.

• Like 1

I would use an exterior oil type finish on redwood. Easy to renew and it won't peel. Film forming finishes will eventually fail and possibly trap moisture.

+1 on concrete pad underneath the post at the bottom of the hole, then pack gravel around the post to make it immobile . Plenty of drainage = long life for a buried post.