~600 lbs Bandsaw Longboat

chefmagnus@grics.net

I got some help from an engineer friend who put my Sketchup design into a cadd program. We found that the stress on the inner rails was with in 5% the break tolerances of most plywoods. So we changed the dado to mortises for each of the decking boards and gained a lot of strength. He also helped put some textures onto the faces and get my tenons made.

I hope that no one finds flaws in my design so I can proceed with making it this weekend.

Chef 

The side rails are each made from four layers of laminated plywood. I am going to use a sheet of recovered plywood  to make the sides. I got it from a dumpster. It looks like it had been used as a door because it has hinges on one side and a hole drilled into the other. It doesn't have any signs of water exposure. I broke it down with my poor man's track saw this morning into the rough sizes needed to make each of the lamination parts. I am going to cut all of my mortises while everything is still square. I have a spiral cutting bit with edge guide on router that I was going to make the mortises with and square the end up with hollow chisel mortiser. 

Do you think that it would be ok to glue up the two inner parts then make the mortises through the 1-1/2" resulting piece so the mortises are true to each other. Tired from dialysis and can't think about how to do it right now...

Chef

I scored a couple of sheets of new plywood at Lowe's this morning. I found a sheet of Baltic Birch 2 sided sanded with a 3" bit missing from a corner and a sheet of one side sanded maple that was miss a Dutch man so it had a hole through it. I saw the department manager and asked he could make me a deal on both. He said $30 and I offered $25. He said ok. I got them cut into 4'x4' squares and loaded into van. I have plywood for another project, plywood for my bandsaw longboat, and still have my recovered sheet of plywood to use as assembly table on a pair of saw horses.