Bending edging strips for face frame

Mike Corwin

Hi - I'm doing a cabinet piece where the sides are tapered and need to figure out how to edge it.  The first 30" from the floor the cabinet sides are 14" deep, and then they taper to 10" at the top of the sides (in other words, not a consistent taper).  I want to cover the plywood edges with solid ¼ wood and ideally I'd like to use one long piece of edging to follow the taper of the sides.  I can clamp the ¼" edging to the taper angle of the sides and get it to bend, but wanted to know if this ok to do or if I would need to steam bend the edging first before clamping and gluing it in place.  Thanks for any advice!

post-5482-0-80738200-1413561235_thumb.jp

You should not have an issue but Walnut is brittle. To be safe put a couple drops of water on the back of your banding. Take a single edge razorblade and beat it in across the grain at the bend 1/2 to 2/3 the way through and pull back out. Apply your banding as usual. This just gives the fibers some place to go rather than bunching up. The cut will not be visible.

• Like 1

Have you tried dry clamping a piece of walnut in place?  If so, did it break or not make good contact in any areas?  Eyeballing it from the photo, I say just go for it.  No water, no steam, no kerfing, just clamps and glue.  Biggest issue would be to have a good set of cauls to a.) distribute the force and b.) give some grip and traction so the clamps don't slip along the taper.