Portable Table Saw Guidance

Illini40

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and new to woodworking. I'm excited to get into woodworking more this winter.

I am looking to pick up a table saw - a portable saw.

What insight can anyone provide on these two specific saws that I'm debating between? Comparisons?

1) DeWalt 7480

2) Ridgid 4513

Both are similarly priced at HD at the moment. I understand that these saws are not professional grade cabinet saws, but I've determined for my situation, they are the way to go.

As stated, I'm a beginner. Safety, accuracy, and a good fence are important to me.

I will not be moving them around, and they will likely be sitting on some type of mobile base / bench in my shop.

These are pretty common threads. They tend to go something like this:

Person wants a portable saw because they like the idea of them not taking up a lot of space. They ask for information about what portable saw to get.

The rest of the internet spends their time trying to convince them to not buy a portable saw because portable saws are for rough construction work where accuracy doesn't matter.

Really, though that is how they go. 

Unless you are moving from jobsite to jobsite there is literally no good reason to buy a portable saw. You can pickup a used contractors saw that is only a few years old for cheaper then a portable saw on a stand brand new so price is not an issue. The space saving item is almost completely destroyed because frankly that portable saw takes up almost the same room as a contractor saw. The contractor saws tend to come with mobile bases of some flavor (the ridgid and craftsman models do). The portable saws tend to be made from plastic and have nonstandard miter slots making accessories few and far between. And finally the accuracy is just not there on the portable saws compared to the most basic of contractor saws.

So in review. Don't buy a portable saw. Buy either a lightly used contractor saw or spring for the extra 100 dollars and buy a new one.

Hey OP, the prior comment from a poster I have come to highly respect contains pure bunk for my area. You cannot touch a used cabinet for what you can get a contractor saw. That said, his point is only overstated for my region, not without value.

I have seen amazing finish work of all types done on the Dewalt. I personally prefer the Bosch contractor saws if contractor if must be.

I concur with Mr. Shaffer; I live in an apartment and can only work in my covered carport. I have a closet-size storage area which is already half-full of tools and miscellaneous. I am in the market for a compact table saw (probably a Bosch) precisely because it can be stored in a small space and rolled out when needed.

I have built a wall treatment/entertainment console and a dining table top with borrowed Dewalt 745, which despite a great deal of abuse cuts within 1/64 of straight. These projects are far from perfect but are nice looking and functional, and I have learned a great deal: case construction, face frames, drawers, cabinet doors and hinges, etc.

With a (good) contractor saw, you get functional pieces and, more importantly, *into the craft.* The limitations of the tools you choose will quickly become apparent, I think, and what better way to educate yourself while producing furniture?

I've learned an invaluable amount from these forums (and of course from Marc and his videos), but I've always done so with a view to what I can accomplish with my limited resources. I say go for the contractor saw and see where you can get with it. If nothing else, you will be set to build a new deck, bookshelves, do some flooring, etc.

Good luck,

Ryan

I'd  only go with a portable if  you need to tote it from location to location.  A good full size cast iron saw with a belt drive induction motor will have the lion's share of advantages, and can be easily rolled around the shop on a mobile base.  The added table area and mass of a full size saw are inherently safer.

The ABC's of Table Saws

I've used a job site Dewalt saw that belongs to a friend a few times when we were working on his house, and I absoulutely hate it.  A tablesaw should be massive enough not to move when you push anything through it.  I can't imagine trying to do any kind of accurate work with one.

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and new to woodworking. I'm excited to get into woodworking more this winter.

As stated, I'm a beginner. Safety, accuracy, and a good fence are important to me.

If safety and accuracy are important to you then a portable is not the way to go. Accuracy aside safety is probably the best reason not to get a portable saw. The table surface is way to small. The distance from the front leading edge to the blade is way to short. secondly they are to light. The moving can always be fixed with sandbags or something along those lines but your not going to fix the other safety issues without remodeling the saw surface.

Hey OP, the prior comment from a poster I have come to highly respect contains pure bunk for my area. You cannot touch a used cabinet for what you can get a contractor saw. That said, his point is only overstated for my region, not without value.

I have seen amazing finish work of all types done on the Dewalt. I personally prefer the Bosch contractor saws if contractor if must be.

Just a comment no one compared cabinet versus contractor saw in the previous post.  The post stated that there was little cost difference between portable and contractor saws.

I've been using a DeWalt 745 for a few years now... the stability isn't really an issue if you bolt it to a stand, and the fence is decent.  The big problem I have is capacity- there is almost no space in front of the blade, so it is just about useless for crosscutting, and I am constantly wanting to rip things like furniture tops or cabinet parts that are wider than the maximum rip capacity.  Also, the fact that it can't fit a dado stack is really annoying, although it does fit a Freud box joint blade which works OK for rabbets and tenons.  I REALLY wish I had started with something like this instead:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0715P

Thank you everyone for your insight and feedback. I hope I'm not stirring the pot on a sore subject....

Yes - I agree, I would love a nicer contractor saw. Yes - I agree that it would be fantastic to find the hidden gem of a saw on Craigslist.

As I stated in my OP, I acknowledge the shortcomings but due to my specific situation, I was interested in these two saws.

- max budget of $400 (preferably from a retailer so I can use a Visa gift card)

- I've been searing CL, but cannot find anything worthy of picking up

- I don't have the ability to transport a fully assembled contracts saw in my vehicle (assuming anything I buy in CL is assembled)

Is there another option out there that I'm missing, besides the route that I'm headed?

Also, as I noted, I intend to mount to a larger base / bench for stability (hopefully for safety?).

The greater Chicago area.

Can you be more specific?  There's a lot of us on the forums around Chicagoland. 

As an aside, I don't personally have a vehicle capable of moving a fully assembled saw, but you can rent a truck from HD pretty cheap for such a purpose.   /shrug    I like you did a variety of searching but the Chicago CL is pretty weak IMHO...never found much of anything that got me interested.

Hi,

You're not stirring the pot at all.  I think everyone's concern is that you stated that safety accuracy and a good fence are all important.  You will be lacking in all of those if you purchase a portable unit.  You might want to wait until you can up your budget to around $500-$600.  By the way you can usually get 10% off from Lowes by going online and filling out a just moved card.  Most places also give a military discount as well.  

Thanks for catching my oversight guys. My error was caught up in the fact that I have never seen a modern contractor saw according to Knotscott's write-up. I have only seen them in pictures. I guess my vintage saw meets those criteria but is smaller than a modern portable and lacks a riving knife and splitter. This style of saw dominates my market. Sorry to add mud instead of clarity.

Can you be more specific?  There's a lot of us on the forums around Chicagoland. 

As an aside, I don't personally have a vehicle capable of moving a fully assembled saw, but you can rent a truck from HD pretty cheap for such a purpose.   /shrug    I like you did a variety of searching but the Chicago CL is pretty weak IMHO...never found much of anything that got me interested.

I'm out in Sugar Grove.  I am far enough west that most saws that I would find and have to rent a truck for would start to get expensive.  Yes - I've only ever had luck selling, not any stellar deals.

Craigslist is your friend :-) There are some great deals in your area. Ask a friend with a truck or van or suv where the seats come out to lend you a hand, or rent a truck from home depot etc.

Here is a good prospect

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/4720870084.html

Thanks for the link.  I already have a message out to this listing to check on it.  Its about an hour away, so renting a truck out by me may not be real cheap.  Curious if the base detaches from the unit fairly easy?  Try to fit it into my '13 Chevy Equinox.

Hi,

You're not stirring the pot at all.  I think everyone's concern is that you stated that safety accuracy and a good fence are all important.  You will be lacking in all of those if you purchase a portable unit.  You might want to wait until you can up your budget to around $500-$600.  By the way you can usually get 10% off from Lowes by going online and filling out a just moved card.  Most places also give a military discount as well.  

Thanks for the tip on Lowes.  Looks like they only have one contractor saw - a Delta for $600.  Still more than what I'm really wanting to spend on a first saw.

Another option: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/tls/4716429846.html

The ad is not clear on this one whether the switch works well enough to test the motor. Bring a switch with you and offer 200 and see if they bite. 

Thanks but this is a trek from me.  Not sure its worth having to possibly replace the switch.

As long as you are watching CL, keep eyes peeled for Rigid brand contractor saws. The extension wings and fence rail can be removed to make it it easier to pack. Older ones come off the mobile base with just a few bolts as well, not sure about the newer ones. My $275 CL find has been outstanding, and that price included a 1 hp dust collector! Mine is old enough to not have a proper riving knife, however.

I was in your boat years ago while living in Miami. I was a chef on a cruise ship so I would have weeks off with nothing to do. So I was wanting to some projects but only could do them in the carport. I ended up buying a pool supply storage locker that would hold a contractor saw not a portable saw. I later upgraded to a DeWalt hybrid saw. I got a dead portable saw and took it apart and used the table as fence on my bandsaw for resawing boards.

Chef