Portable Table Saw Guidance

Illini40

I brought home the saw for $350. I feel like I got a good deal. The saw looks to be in shape, plus it came with a few extra blades, zero clearance insert, and a Kreg feather board.

Hoping to get it unloaded tomorrow. We had to take the base off, which should be easy going back on (four bolts).

It did come with a blade guard, but no anti kickback paws. Is this something I could order?

Another newbie question - what scenarios would I use the zero clearance insert?

Appreciate all of the guidance...I'm a true newbie on this.

I use the zero clearance insert for everything cut at 90*. If I ever have a need to do rip chts at 45*, I'll make one for that, too. Zero clearance does wonders for making the saw cut cleanly. I've even heard of folks that make insert to fit various widths of dado blades.

Thanks for the insight. If you use the insert for all 90* cuts, why are standard inserts even made for the saw?

I guess I assume that it had a much more specialized application than just all cuts. The guy that I bought the saw from commented that "the zero clearance I insert is where it's at".

for me I use the micro jig splitter system in my ZCI so I have to swap out for the regular insert if i'm using any kind of sled (which is easier for me than popping out the little micro jig splitters), and of course when I use dado blades too.  otherwise the ZCI is the main game.  Pretty sure the factory inserts that come with new saws are meant to be used at multiple angles for multiple blades and kerfs, whereas the ZCI is customized basically to one blade at one angle, so if you want to use it for different blades or angles you have to get a different insert for each one.  

>>>Thanks for the insight. If you use the insert for all 90* cuts, why are standard inserts even made for the saw?<<<

Zero clearance helps keep narrow rips from dropping by the blade. If you rough with a bandsaw and then clean with the table saw, you will have a lot of narrow offcuts. Wider slots allow bevel angles without binding. If you ever rip bevels, you can start a new zero clearance or just use the wider throat depending on safety concerns.

Zero clearance inserts were really made to prevent tear out on veneer faced sheet goods. In order for a ZCI to to its job you need to bump the blade against the insert thus why its call a zero clearance insert. The zero is the carbide tips not the sides of the blade. For example every time you cut a sheet of plywood you touch the blade to the insert. Eventually the blade is to high and its time for a new insert. This doesn't mean you have to toss it out you would then just keep using it for deeper cuts. If you make loads of cabinets with a conventional saw without a scoring blade eventually you should have quite the pile of ZCI's laying around.

• Like 1