In floor electrical boxes

Janello

Before I pour the concrete slab in my new shop I'd like to run conduit to a few electrical boxes in the floor. Ideally, I'd like to have two locations that share 220v and 110v outlets. Does anyone know if there are boxes made for this purpose that I can install both 110 and 220 in one box? 

There’s NEC, then there’s what the town requires, then there’s what the local inspector wants to see – these could be the same, or not… YMMV. Further, Hurricane Sandy drove some municipalities to tighten codes for near-grade-level electrics. I believe there was also an NEC update in the last 24months, so my 2010 copy is out of date. With all those caveats understood:

If you use a double-gang box fed by separate branches (a 220 and a 110 - no paring a 110 from 220 branch, sharing Commons, etc -- none of the nonsense) with each gang having its own receptacles (220 on one side and 110 on the other), you can do this – by Code…

However, as stated above, many towns have tightened residential electric/utilities post-Sandy. It may be Code, but you may not be able to get it approved... Call your town Engineering/Code Enforcement Dept and ask. Be prepared to provide elevation above grade for the slab/box/etc…

It rather goes without saying, that if this is a below-grade install, it ain’t going to happen…

Good luck.

there are floor boxes, and floor receptacles  it's probably easier to find what's available online than in your local electrical supply.  The supply house will probably only have one or two choices.  For a recent project where I needed a couple, I just ordered them online to start with.

Yes, you can have 120v & 240v in the same box.  Voltage limitation is 300, you can’t have over 300 volts between any 2 phases.

Floor boxes come in a variety of types the more versatile the box the more expensive they get (as you would expect).  The cheapest being the round Carlon box will allow only one type of device per box.  While you can have both 120 & 240 you would have to choose between the two since they do not make a combination device.  You can have the wiring in the box and change the configuration latter if you want.