Refinishing mahogany - sanding not removing end grain color

jasreth

I can find a lot of information about how to prevent extra absorption of color in end grain. My problem is a little different. I'm refinishing an antique mahogany settee. I've sanded and sanded a curved area but still the end grain shows color on the inner curve -  parallel blackish bands, one at the top and one at the bottom of the curve. I'm concerned about applying new stain because I assume the bands will show through, and appear darker than the rest of the piece. I don't suppose I can apply some knd of bleach to the end grain portion of the curve, can I? Any recommendations would be welcome.

If this were me, go out and get a good paint stripper containing methylene chloride and go at this thing. You will be sanding your brains out. Sanding will also change/damage the sharpness of profiles. I still see finish in the grain of other areas that must come out or will show through when you apply your finish. 

Do this outside. Get some heavy duty rubber gloves. Safety glasses. Coarse steel wool. Brass brush (smaller bbq brush, excellent for profiles) Use the steel wool with the grain, as you would sanding.

Problem is, yes the finish is deep in the profiles. Profiles tend to collect and build-up more finish and yes it's thirsty end-grain. 

Once the "entire" piece is stripped. Wash it down with mineral spirits. Once dry, finish sand to 150-180 grit.   

Hope this helps.

-Ace-

Hi - 

Sorry but I'm not clear about the exact instructions. I assume I wipe on the paint methylene chloride and then...go to it with the brush first and then the steel wool? And yes, I've already sanded down at least one of the edges of the block portion of a leg a little too far. <sigh>  Also, the entire settee is already sanded to 150 grit. Will I need to go over it again with the 150? Should I then do 180 as well? 

Hi - 

Sorry but I'm not clear about the exact instructions. I assume I wipe on the paint methylene chloride and then...go to it with the brush first and then the steel wool? And yes, I've already sanded down at least one of the edges of the block portion of a leg a little too far. <sigh>  Also, the entire settee is already sanded to 150 grit. Will I need to go over it again with the 150? Should I then do 180 as well? 

What you cant get at with steel wool such as tight places, etc., use the brass brush. Flat surfaces use steel wool. Always working with the grain.

-Ace-