Trio of Grasshoppers

Hey all, 

I found a piece of 10/4 tiger maple in the scrap bin. I was able to get three grasshopper bodies onto the piece, So off to the bandsaw while my stomach refused to let me sleep. I got them cut out and sanded off the bandsaw marks. Tomorrow night after sleeping off dialysis I will try to get the legs cut out. I don't know if I will stain the legs or just use a dark wood. We will have to look and see what is in the scrap bin. I will make my once a year trip to Hobby Lobby to get the wheels and other parts. The grils have said that they will pain them for me. I am going to use up a can of water based poly as a finish. I hope all three of the little ones that I plan to give the grasshoppers to like them....

Chef

Chef, I made mine out of laminated poplar and let the little one paint it. It's definitlely not as woody and neat looking as Vinn's but watching a 2 yr old paint it was, as they say, priceless. Hobby Lobby has the wheels , pegs, eyes and pipe cleaners. Get after it Dude

I have over a month as we are having a Christmas party at he dialysis center the 16th of December. I keep thinking that I have another piece of maple the same size as this on and should cut extras if unannounced little ones show up. Would you make extras? It isn't costing me hardly anything. Just time and Hoppy loppy (Wife goes so much that I wouldn't notice my expenses if I made a 100 of them).

Chef

Looking good, man. Like the curves in the body.

By the way, when I picked up those nylon washers at Lowes, I noticed a drawer in their 'specialty hardware' area labeled 'Hobby'. Lots of wheels and pegs and the like.

Also, after using a few coats of that watco butcher block oil, (which ain't cheap) it really builds up a nice hard (poly?) glossy finish. Since it's non toxic, and a bit easier to apply than arm-r-seal on small parts, i may switch to that on future toys. 2 coats builds up one heck of a hard finish.

I went to Lowe's and found two bags of wheels that had been opened and taped shut. I am always looking for a bargain so I asked for a discount since they had been opened and I would have to clean them when I got home. I got 25% off just by asking. I had already counted and all 24 wheels where there. 

My one mistake is that there only 2" with a 1/4" hole. Looking at the templates they should still work cause all of the other wheels were smaller. So my grasshopper will be doing the low crawl...

Chef

• 4 weeks later...