Hand Crank grinder - where to get a wheel

Dan Oelke

My dad came across this hand-cranked grinder from a relative's place as they were cleaning it out.  Very cool looking with open gear set up. 

I haven't ever seen a grinding wheel like this.  It has a spoked metal center and the abrasive is just a 3/4" layer formed around the outside of that. Unfortunately, the abrasive had been cracked and broken off of the wheel at some point. We still have some of the pieces but not all of it.

In the photos the rustier wheel with the little nubs on it is the grinding wheel.  While we could replace it with a more modern wheel that is all abrasive, I would much rather be able to get new abrasive put on the old wheel.  Those spokes are just so cool I think.

So - does anyone have any ideas on where/how to get a new set of abrasive formed onto that wheel?  Also - anyone have an idea as to the manufacturer?  We could find no lettering/markings anywhere.

Thanks!

post-14624-0-82409300-1413817381_thumb.j

post-14624-0-37257700-1413817399_thumb.j

Thanks guys.  I probably will try Schwarz or Roy. 

I didn't measure the arbor diameter but I probably could find/adapt a modern wheel to fit.  There is a pin that holds the curent wheel on the arbor. 

It's just that the cast iron center is so cool looking that I'd really like to keep it.  I am hoping that someone somewhere can form a wheel around that core.... but to find them.  I did google making your own wheel and I found a few people saying that they thought you should be able to make a mixture of Al-oxide and portland but no one talked about having actually done it.