Belt sander question

timtoolman1953

My first post!  Just signed up see my intro.   In the stash of stuff I recently acquired is 3-4 dozen sanding belts for the belt sander. They had been in storage (not climate controlled) for over 20 years. The fabric base of the belts appears fine, but the cheesy little strip of tape for the seam has given it up. Cannot bring my self to toss them. Tried reattaching with some 5 minute JB Weld, no go there. Anyone got a suggestion to save and use these otherwise pristine belts?

The only thing to use them for is sharpening chisels / blades or flattening the soles of planes if you have a big and dead flat surface. Some folks use glass, but the better option is a granite slab. A granite counter top company will often times have offcuts that are perfect for this and can be had super cheap.

My first post!  Just signed up see my intro.   In the stash of stuff I recently acquired is 3-4 dozen sanding belts for the belt sander. They had been in storage (not climate controlled) for over 20 years. The fabric base of the belts appears fine, but the cheesy little strip of tape for the seam has given it up. Cannot bring my self to toss them. Tried reattaching with some 5 minute JB Weld, no go there. Anyone got a suggestion to save and use these otherwise pristine belts?

Man up and toss them. Unless your feet need a lot of attention....

Seriously, belts are good for a couple years or so of storage and then the seams fall apart on use. Unless you use the belt sander a lot don't buy in quantity. Don't ask how I know this....

I know years ago when the belt would break on my dads big 42" wide belt sander he would carpet glue and overlap a bit and stitch through the overlap. But that was completely different critter. Then those belt where a few hundred dollars and he got every penny out of them. We made sanding boards and tables out of the ones too far gone his mending.

chef