Sketchup crashes with OS X Yosemite

Jerry_in_SD

I updated OS X this week to 10.10 and now when I run Sketch-up it crashes when an outliner window is opened.  Unfortunately, the ability to stop Sketchup from opening the file when you launch the app does not work  -- every time I start Sketchup it opens the file and crashes which means I have to delete the file and lose the work.  

I'm going to be really disappointed if I will be unable to run Sketchup on my Mac.   I'm not willing to re-install OS X or delete existing software to fix this problem. 

Anyone else have this problem and maybe have a solution?

For anyone else seeing this problem.  Rename the file that causes the crash.  Open SU which will open with a new project.  Outliner window will be open.  Close outliner window and then file --> open and find your renamed file.  File will open without outliner and will not crash.  Don't use outliner.  SU works with the component window being open.  I find outliner critical so hope this is fixed in the new release. 

Exactly why I don't update critical machines to a new OS until I'm sure the apps I need will run smoothly. Been burnt too many times in the past. But I'm sure the folks that make SketchUp want Mac users to be happy too so I am confident it'll be updated. But Yosemite has only been out for a few days so it might take a little time. 

Jerry I've loaded a large drawing of about 25MB that is full of components and groups.

I'm using Sketchup Make 14.1.1283 on OSX Yosemite 10.10 on a new Macbook Air and just had the crash. ATOS had to be given permission to debug so I have got something I can send to Trimble.
For reference I had the outliner open and was flicking between scenes that I had setup on the drawing. At least now I have had the same results - a crash. But let me know what you were doing when it crashed for you.

To all users of Macs. Sketchup 2014 (and probably earlier versions too) is NOT supported on OS X 10.10 aka Yosemite. Trimble are advising against upgrading to the new operating system. They are saying that OS X 10.10 is 'An Unsupported Environment'

From reading the pinned forum entry on Trimble's website other people are having exactly the same issues that Jerry has and I have reproduced. A temporary workaround would be to avoid the use of Outliner. But quite honestly if there is an issue with the product then there may be other, as yet unreported, issues in it that are underlying. There would be nothing worse than working on a drawing for it to crash. For now either roll back to Mavericks with your time machine backup or try an older version of Sketchup until they patch it.

Have a look at http://forums.sketchup.com/t/should-i-upgrade-to-os-x-yosemite/2189

I just found another small issue on a Yosemite machine. Curious if others can reproduce it. I dimensioned a part and then right-clicked the dimension to access Fonts through the contextual window option. Never brings the fonts up and I get the beachball of death. No recourse other than Force Quitting and re-opening. 

Some more info MAC users. On the Trimble forum they now have a thread for beta testers - really it's just a way of notifying them of any issues you encounter rather than beta testing. I'm going to submit any problems and bugsplats I find. If you have any feel free to contribute to either their forum thread http://forums.sketchup.com/t/os-x-yosemite-testers/781/24 or on this thread and I'll submit on your behalf. Hopefully the more people submitting splats the more information it gives the developers to iron out the problems.

• Like 1

FYI - 2015/2015Pro are released.

I've got the final release notes, but don't see them on the general download site. I'll get permission to post them.

BTW: If you haven't checked-out the mobile viewer, it's worth a look... It's got limitations, but I use it --- when I build a model on my PC, I then take it to the shop on the iPad...

FYI - 2015/2015Pro are released.

I've got the final release notes, but don't see them on the general download site. I'll get permission to post them.

BTW: If you haven't checked-out the mobile viewer, it's worth a look... It's got limitations, but I use it --- when I build a model on my PC, I then take it to the shop on the iPad...

Nice Trip. Looking forward to seeing it :)

• 5 months later...

HI I am new to this site and this thread is exactly what I have been dealing with since I updated to Yosemite because SK said that I had to to get the current version.  I just had apple reinstall yosemite on my mac and when I did a time machine back up restore, all the problems that happen with my mac came back.  Everything runs slow, apps crash all the time and actually using SU is iffy.  I plan on going back and trying to go with mavericks and an older version of SU.  I have too much to do to have a slow computer and designs that are constantly lost.  Thanks for posting your experiences for me to read.