Four Router Owner Buys first two bits

chefmagnus@grics.net

I have just inherited my four router. It is a 3hp router from festool. I had to look online to find out how to open the case thing. I also got a vacuum to go with it. I also have a 3hp plunge from DeWalt, a D-Handle model from DeWalt, a fixed base router from the yellow and black menace, and a smaller 2hp plunge router from Triton. I did not buy a one of these. They were all given to me.  

So I grew tired of them sitting in their cases and want to make a handle for my mallet. So off to Menard's I go. I head for the router aisle. I find a 1/2 shaft 5/8 round over bit that some mention for making a handle since I didn't want to damage my new to me drill press. While there I saw a pattern bit. I got a 1/2" shaft with a 3/4" top bearing with a 1-1/2"  cutting area.  Yes that would make the making of the 8 plywood pieces for the outer rails of the bandsaw longboat go much quick and would turn out better than me cutting and sanding them. 

My god I have turned into Dave Marks. Opps no he was the demon of MDF not plywood. 

I got a CMT pattern bit and a Freud round over bit but was too tired to play with them. Maybe when I wake up on Thursday. I was planning on using the D-handle for the pattern bit and the fixed base router for the round over bit. If I am wrong in these choices let me know. I have one of the plywood pieces cut out with the jig saw and sanded to the way that I want it to be. I was going to use  it as the pattern. Do I need to clamp the work piece or just use double stick tape?

Chef

Double stick tape lets you route all the way around a pattern, that's helpful when making multiple curved, angled or odd shaped parts.

I get the good double face tape they sell for lathe turners, especially for smaller parts. Double faced carpet tape does work but it can leave adhesive on your workpiece . Usually need to sand after removing the tape.

Clamps might leave a mark but if you only need to route one or 2 edges can work just as well. If using clamps and routing all 4 sides add new clamps after the first route before you remove the original clamps, this keeps the pattern and workpiece aligned.

Freud quadra cut roundover bits do a wonderful job. Whiteside makes very good bits.

If you need to route 4 sides of a large batch of parts vacuum clamped templates are awesome. It does take a vacuum pump, valves and a specially made template with a gasket and hose attached. There is some good info on "Joe Woodworkers " site. Plus a vacuum pump lets you do vacuum bag veneer work.

post-6363-0-33504600-1413988268_thumb.jp

Making oak corbels for a bar. The steel pedastal is handy but not nessacary , I got them cheap 20+ years ago.

post-6363-0-50322000-1413988284_thumb.jp

8/4 oak is precut on the bandsaw about 1/16 outside the line

post-6363-0-04970700-1413988302_thumb.jp

Melamine makes a good cheap template. Gasket seals to the wood. Hole allows the hose to pull a vacuum.

Oak does leak down the vacuum more than maple does. I always sand the face very flat to get a good seal.

Just wanted to share another possible way to template route parts , most of y'all might never want or need a set up like this. It does have its advantages. I made 6 corbels in about 30 minutes. Re used a template I made years ago.

• Like 2

Yes! Check out Joe Woodworkers site. You will need at a minimum a dust filter , valve or foot pedal ,and some gasket tape. He sells a parts kit pretty reasonable. I think it's around $80 includes foot pedal, filter, brass fittings and the gasket tape in a big roll. You can add a lot of accessories as you need them. My pump is an old oil lubed vane pump, must be 35 years old by now.

You can do it cheaper if you just want to play with it . Holler if you need any help.