Pulling the trigger

Mzdadoc

All I do is eat, sleep, drink about WW and my beautiful wife supports me.

The one thing she as my best friend has noticed is that I buy tools, and plans but find it hard to pull the trigger on getting a project going.

I over analyze and have conversations with her about all the ways to make it go easier.

Is it normal for a new WW such as myself to be SO hesitant to get started or in my current project get it finished?

I love doing it but honestly I'm afraid to ruin what I've created by doing something wrong a long the way.

I know that's how you learn and believe me I'm learning tons but my wife is starting to think I'm in it just for the tools.....  LOL

• Like 1

All I do is eat, sleep, drink about WW and my beautiful wife supports me.

The one thing she as my best friend has noticed is that I buy tools, and plans but find it hard to pull the trigger on getting a project going.

I over analyze and have conversations with her about all the ways to make it go easier.

Is it normal for a new WW such as myself to be SO hesitant to get started or in my current project get it finished?

I love doing it but honestly I'm afraid to ruin what I've created by doing something wrong a long the way.

I know that's how you learn and believe me I'm learning tons but my wife is starting to think I'm in it just for the tools.....  LOL

No one , no matter how experienced, does it perfect!  Get out of your head and into the shop, make sawdust, build a small arbor, a tool box, a shop cabinet.... If they turn out badly, you learned something, and made kindling, so what's the problem? And, never avoid asking a question, here is where 90% of the answers are!

Welcome to my world!! I am sure that I over analyze everything and am paranoid about making a mistake..."what if....."  When I finally DO get started I work really slow as it's so stressful for  -  but oh so rewarding! I'm getting better and am giving myself more slack. Reading/Listening to the people around here and other places is encouraging - but I make the mistake of comparing myself to them...many of whom already have lots of experience. Not just in woodworking but working with their hands. I am way too hard on myself. Does this sound at all familiar?

• Like 1

I'm working on Marc's guild build where hand cut dove tails are required. Well not really but he all but said to put your big boy pants on and get the saw out. I did in fact buy some not so cheap poplar and made some practice cuts and the last two made me proud. Now to the real cherry, cause I was ready!

Two extra trips  to the lumber yard and $180 later, I finally cut some that I was pleased with. If you're unsure of yourself using the tools safely, maybe some helpful advice from other woodworkers is in order. If your unsure of the results of your project, quit procrastinating.

Buying all those tools and not making sawdust is like going to work and not bringing home a paycheck :wacko:

Cut a board, sand it and show her how smooth it is :D  Good luck and good woodworking.

• Like 2

Well we don't get better just by thinking and the suggestions above are good. Most mistakes are fixable and are actually good learning opportunities. Marc has some great starter projects (like this years cancer charity build), and you can google "Getting Started in Woodworkings" for other ideas. Since the Holiday season is rapidly approaching, the book "Beautiful Boxes" starts with simple and moves on to more advanced. You can develop skills and build presents all at the same time. Have fun.

In battle, those who attack may survive.  Those who are reluctant usually lose or die.   It's always a battle to accomplish anything.  Attack.  When staying with a friend a while back, and working on his house, he asked me one night if I was planning how I was going to do whatever it was the next day.  When I said no, he asked how I would get it done if I hadn't previously planned it out.  I said, I'll use my normal method. He asked what that was, and I said,      Attack.

• Like 1

I find that making designs in sketchup help tremendously in getting into the shop and being effective and efficient. 

I really can't say that one too much. Even making a cuttingboard I at least want to know in advance how big the final dimensions are and how much wood I need to glue-up to reach that point.

When making the sketchup design I will come across dozens of problems that while in sketchup are easy to solve, but if I were to try to do on the fly would result in a complete loss of all cuts up to that point or a massive redesign which in turn would take many hours. 

The sketchup process also really excites me because I get to see how the project will look when done. I enlist my girlfriend in this process once I have the final creation. She will have a lot of input about where a stretcher should be or how big to make something or "that table really needs some breadboards" etc and her excitement over a project once she can actually see the design is itself infectious. 

So bottom line, sketchup is your friend. If you don't know how to use sketchup, no worries, its actually pretty simple to pickup for a lot of things and there are a LOT of videos online to teach you how to do basic things. Literally in under 4 hours of tutorials you will be able to make any piece of furniture that doesn't have curves in sketchup and you will know enough to figure the curves out with a few more tutorials.

This is exactly why I come here every day to unwind after work! Thank you!!!

K Cooper it's funny that you mentioned sand something and show her how smooth it is.... I did just that! LOL

At my unplugged class we hand planed two boards glued up and totally uneven. Smooth as silk and flat as glass! She was the first person I shared it with and she gets a kick out of my child like enthusiasm....

I know I didn't become a master technician over night but cars always just made sense to me.

I'm going to put my two chairs together this weekend and start on my grandsons toy plain!!

I'll gladly trade you my deficiency of time for your dithering.  Nothing would stop me from building if I could just get out there some morning with a full night's rest and no other work that had to be done.  People in my position find people in your position quite annoying. :D

Quit whining and get out there and BUILD.  Learn to enjoy the journey.  Screw the mistakes.  Build.

The more journeys you take, the fewer mistakes you make.

That's a poem.

• Like 2

Hey doc, would be a good idea to save your first  builds to enable you to look back in coming months to see your progress. I started out making decorative boxes and still have my first one.  Occasionally I'll learn something new and think, that would have looked neat on my first box. And sometimes, after a good cold beer, I'll look at that first box and think, shoot, I didn't do too bad of a job on it after all :rolleyes: