Pantry guides

I am planning a layout for a 36" wide 24" deep pantry with 4 pull out shelves with a 3-1/2 height on the shelves.  Looking for a suggestion on how thick to make the bottom and what weight rating for the guides.  I expect these shelves will be loaded with can goods etc... so probably a lot of weight.

Looking at side mount guides.  Do you have a brand that is good and cost effective?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

They make 200lb full extension guides I bought some from HD I'm sure they were the cheapest on the market and I've had them on my shop drawers for 8yrs. with tons of use sill work great. So if you go with some of the main brands they probably ever get better for more $.

3/4 Birch and KV8505    We have some 8505s in our house that are on their third use from when I first bought them for a filing cabinet system in the mid '80s.   Now they are in the dog room holding big drawers with all sorts of stuff in them, and they close smoothly with a nudge of a knee.

• Like 1

You need about 23 7/8 inches of depth minimum inside the cabinet behind the door to use a 24" slide ! A 22" 8505 slide pulls out over 23" . You can build your drawers/ shelves about 1/4" less than the full interior depth of the cabinet.

I strongly suggest you read the installation instructions carefully before you build the drawer/ shelf pull outs. The slide screws to the case and a rail mounts to the drawer. The rail has to fit under a hook on top of the slide and a lever/ clip pops down into a slot near the front.

I cut a pair of spacer sticks to sit the slide on while I screw it in place, then do the other side. So you must start with the upper most slide in the cabinet and work your way down. The more accurate you are installing the slides the better they will operate.