IFTTT.com and craigslist

kurtbouma

Just thought I'd share with everyone what a great resource the site IFTTT.com can be for getting power tool deals on craigslist. 

I used the site to alert me when anything with the words "powermatic" is posted in the tools section of the Grand Rapids MI craigslist, therefore allowing me to be one of the first people to see the ads for powermatic stuff. (I have other "recipes" set up too)

Two days ago someone posted a brand new powermatic 6" 54A jointer, with mobile base, and a brand new ridgid 13" planer, with stand and mobile base for $800.

After quick google searching the price for everything I realized it was a $1690 retail value (both machines plus mobile bases) and thought the $800 asking price couldn't be for everything, as the pics made them look show room new.

Needless to say, I called and they happened to be about 5 minutes from my location. I ended up being the first one out of 15 other calls in the first 10 minutes (so I was told) and walked out with both machines for $750. 

I've attached pics of the jointer as that is the real gold (pun intended) for me in this deal. It is my first powermatic machine. My local woodcraft has a floor mop with the sole purpose of soaking up my drool in the powermatic tool section. I have all the tools I "need" so I've never pulled the trigger on a powermatic as it would be a luxurious upgrade as opposed to a must have purchase.

All that to say, there are great power tool deals floating around on craigslist but you typically have to be pretty quick to the party if your going to get them. IFTTT.com is what enables me to be just as fast as the tool dork that sits at his computer clicking refresh every 30 seconds.post-16325-0-58418400-1414074849_thumb.jpost-16325-0-02421800-1414074852_thumb.j

Couldn't figure it out either.  

I tried inserting the key word 'Powermatic', but I keep getting notifications for all posts entered in the 'Tools' section.  

And you get notified only one time per day.  So I get one email stating 72 people posted under the 'Tools" section.

I have to check my email to check notifications anyway, so I might as well just check Craigslist directly.  

Don't see any advantages here but glad it worked for you.    

• 3 weeks later...