Checkbook Entry: $360-Wood for New Workbench

Hi all, 

I guess that I am committed to a life of making sawdust. I ordered the wood for my workbench today. I am going with local white ash and walnut.  I have walked under the ash trees and know the farmer that cut them down. I know the man that is milling them and going to dry them for me. I will have to wait a few months. But my woodworking skills will have been reacquired by then. 

I see making a bench as a milestone in a man's life. I am going to have my daughter help me like I and my brothers helped my father. I couldn't have my father's bench cause it was lost to a fire. I hope that my grandkids will be using the bench, that my daughter and I are going to make, in a hundred years.

I do have some pictures of my father's bench and will be able to get measurements from them. I know that there are a many other bench plans already but this one worked for my dad for sixty years. I know with a bit of improvements, we can bring the family bench back from the ashes. I do have some of the bolts from my dad's bench. I don't remember what purpose that they served. They are 5/8" diameter by about 11 inch length and I have 8 of them. I don't know how I will use them in the my bench but I will figure something out. After going through the fire it will have to be decorative and functional. I will put up a picture of the ninth bolt that broke when I removed the nut.

Chef posted a lot of copyrighted images as his own, so I'm hiding all of his posts with images

It will be a 6-1/2 by 2 foot bench. Mainly cause that is how much room I have for a bench. The bench will be Illinois white ash except for the leg vise chop, end caps, and the faces of the moxon vise which will be black walnut from Northern Indiana I will be putting a leg and Moxon vise onto it, also a sliding dead man. I have worked with two tail vises in my life and both bound up. I just don't want that hassle. I plan on round dog holes with dog holes in both the chop of the leg vise and dog holes in the face of the moxon vise. I plan on putting dog holes in the bench in a pattern to match my MFT/3. So I can use my Festool fasteners on it as well. I also plan on getting a couple of WonderDogs and other special dogs.

I had read a series of post by a blacksmith making holdfast and would like to order from him but I can't find his info now. If you know who I am talking about please let me know.  I don't plan on a lower shelf just adding a cross runner and using the space for clamp storage. I have run out of wall space for clamps and need some where else to put them. BTW I have fallen in love with Bessey Lever Action Clamps. I just ordered 4 more.

I will make a Sketchup Plan and share it later this week.

Any questions or suggestions let me know.

Chef

... so jealous. I'd love to see pics of your progress as you go, so in a few months after your wood dries maybe you should start a thread in the project journal page.  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading many of those.  frankly I have learned a TON just reading what you folks post here so the more the merrier.  I'm still at the point where I really just want a vise. you guys would giggle at what passes for a workbench in my shop these days.  one day I too will take this plunge though. 

gonna bookmark that site for the holdfasts btw !!

Consider Grammercy Holdfasts...   They're outstanding and reasonably priced.

I'll second that recommendation on the holdfasts. Chef, I'm not sure if you are working from plans or not, but if you need a starting point for this style of bench, I have to recommend the Roubo bench build series from The Wood Whisperer Guild. This build does use the Benchcrafted hardware, but that is not mandatory. The bench design itself if well thought out and is a great starting point for the style of bench that you are considering. Leave the tail vise off if you don't want it. Marc does a fantastic job with this video series and walks you through every step. Anyway, just a thought. I know that the "Roubo Bandwagon" has been ridden pretty hard, but hey, the damn thing is highly functional. I received no compensation for this post. :)

I am making my own design. I have all of the Christopher Schwarz's books checked out from the library(That is being rebuilt so I get to keep them until May) but going to try and rebuild my dad's bench. My dad said that it was like the benches that they had to build in school so I don't know where the design came from. I have a few pictures of us working with him in the shop. He used to build mobile homes and restore historical properties. He made all the cabinets that went into his houses on wheels cause everything else on the market was particle board garbage. My hope is to find out what the bolts that I found after the fire in the area of the bench were used for. I will get a design up soon. And the old timers will help fix it up...

Chef