Someone Elses Shop

A friend of mine's father pasted away recently. He has no interest in woodworking so he is giving me his dad's tools. His dad had been living alone for about 20 years and we don't think anyone had been in his shop except for him in the last 10-15 years. I took a few items that I thought that would be easy for thieves to take if they broken in. I grabbed his Festool router and MFT/3, lunch box planer, and stack of black DeWalt boxes. I will go back on Saturday morning when I have a friend who has a pickup truck and clear things out. We already had a surprise of a shotgun inside the 6 foot level case. Anything else that I should be on the lookout. I am asking you older woodworkers. Any thing that you do that might be dangerous to me or my helper? 

He had a Rockwell table saw and a Rockwell radial arm saw. I don't know anything about these. Are they worth bringing home or should I let the auctioneer sell them? HeIt is about a twenty mile trip and I only have the helper and pickup for one day. 

Chef

Cleaning out another’s shop is not a fun task.  FWIW, when I cleaned out my uncle’s shop, an avid woodworker, I kept his bandsaw, DeWalt radial arm saw, and a variety of handheld tools.  And the planes.  My uncle told me once that it was tradition amongst his friends that the deceased’s planes always find a home with other woodworking friends.  So, I do it as my tradition too.  Never used a single one of them, but I know exactly where they are on my shop.  Same with shotguns, but you weren't asking about them…shotguns and planes stay with family and friends.  

Good luck.

c.j.

as a lawyer who administers estates I cannot help but feel the little hairs on the back of my neck rising as I read this.  I have seen estates fall apart and turn very messy because someone wanted to give away some stuff and people just helped themselves.  make sure you have explicit permission from people who have the authority to give that permission.  make sure you document every little thing to protect yourself

fyi this is not legal advice. i do not give legal advice over the internet, I only mention that i'm a lawyer to add a tiny bit of credibility to this post.  consider this to be 'avoid major messy hassle advice'. 

• Like 2

I have seen a copy of the will and Bill is named as the sole owner of all that his dad had. I have been taking cell phone picture of everything that I take that way if he wants something back there won't been any questions. He also gave me written permission to take any and all tools, wood, or woodworking related items. I also have a cellphone video of him reading his transfer of ownership if the popo comes around asking questions.

Now I wish that I could find a reason that I could make the candy apple green 1951 mercury monterey that is in the garage was a woodworking tool. I just can't do it. This car looks like it belongs in a showroom. Has 57K on the o and runs like a deer. Bill took me in a ride in it when we got the will copied and his the transfer of the tools etc notarized. 

Very good advice STB. 

Chef

He basically gave me a bill of sale for everything. I faxed copies of everything to Festool and they transferred the remainder warranty on the items to me. And they were happy with it. So I think that I am covered. The sheriff deputy took the shotgun and said that I might get it back or it would go back to Bill.

Chef

When we moved her from the MN I did not know about the FOID system either. I had to take all my firearms in and have them held until I got my card. Having worked in Law Enforcement in another state and being a hunter, I had more than the state average of 1.3 registered firearms. My house got named the Holy Campbell Compound and I was the leader of Dick's Militia. All because I had then 24 rifles, 12 shotguns, and 10 handguns. Since I have started collecting historical firearms my collection has really grown. But if my rec room gets invaded by Graboids, I will defend it and let the know that they broke into the wrong damned rec room... And yes I am half blind and do shoot often...

• Like 2

If the shaper has a 3/4" or 1" spindle it's worth keeping. The 1/2" spindle shaper is kinda lame. Looks like you are going to be one tired puppy after cleaning out that shop. Focus on the wider, thicker and more expensive wood in a time crunch situation like that. Don't leave any walnut, cherry, mahogany or exotics behind ! Pine, oak etc can be found everyday unless the width is exceptional .

Look for the phase converter!

That is quite a come up. .

Tools and guns in my family have become kind of a legacy item. They get passed down through the generations. My father still has all of my grandfather's tools and although he does not use them, They are maintained beautifully.

As an ASE master tech in my previous life, my kids will be coming up good. . When I got out of mechanic school, both Snap-on and Mac tools offered us a one time 50% of offer to order as much as you need. I actually spent about $20k with each company and set myself up well from the start. I have a KRL series box that is totally full without a speck of dirt on anything. . I still wax the box once a month or so. I hope they appreciate them when I'm gone.