picked up a no.8 can you help me identify ?!

tcarswell

I posted a thread on woodworkingtalk.com and nobody could figure it out is this a Stanley plane I picked it up for $30 locally I Lapped the sole and

It's a fantastic plane I just have a few questions like what Bevel to lap the secondary bevel. also a stupid question is this a bevel up or bevel down plane? is there any way I can tell how old it is? Thank you guys SO much for all your help I am Somewhat new with hand tools.

The plane is a bevel down plane. Secondary bevels can shorten your honing cycle a few times but is not necessary. A standard 25° primary is fairly standard.

One dating option. http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating_flowchart.php#Types%201-20

Another. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Assuming it is a Stanley.

I can get specific pictures if you like. Thanks guys

I have a #7 Fulton that was made in 1910 that looks like that almost exactly.   Remember that Stanley bought Fulton and it's often difficult to tell them apart unless their signed. Is there anything on the blade?  C Shaffer is correct, with a jointer, a secondary bevel isn't really necessary!

Ok perfect so just straight 25 degrees.

Did I get a good deal ?

With or without a name, $45 for a number 8 is good..... And the best part is it does what it's supposed to do.... A name on the tool doesn't necessarily make it better.... The point is, to plane wood... If it does that then, yeah, you got a good deal!   Worry less about who made it and more about what it can do for you!   And a straight 25*, and some muscle, it's a hefty tool!

• Like 1

Have you taken it apart to look for markings that might be hidden around thebfrog area? Also, some planes have a trademark stamped on the iron or chip breaker. Some even have stuff engraved on the blade angle adjustment lever.

As Richard said, all that is only important if you are interested in the history behind the tool. If it does its intended job satisfactorly, you got a good deal.

With or without a name, $45 for a number 8 is good..... And the best part is it does what it's supposed to do.... A name on the tool doesn't necessarily make it better.... The point is, to plane wood... If it does that then, yeah, you got a good deal!   Worry less about who made it and more about what it can do for you!   And a straight 25*, and some muscle, it's a hefty tool!

I understand what your saying but curiosity

is driving me to find out the origins .

I guess the blade has been replaced in 1992 with a Stanley blade. Takes an edge nicely !

I'm afraid I don't understand cstanford.

A #8 is heavy, and depending on how you set the blade to the mouth, you might find out, that if you take large cuts, you'll need to re hone, "if" you can plane with that heavy sucker for several hours.    Good luck, you got a decent tool for a decent price, but you need to understand that you only need to use it once in a while. You'll almost never spend 8 hours with that thing in your hands.   But sharpened right and set and used right it will do everything you need done.

That's not at all what I meant.  I was just commenting on the longevity of the steel.  It's fine for us mere mortals who can't plane wood continuously for 16 hours. 

I actually find long planes less fatiguing to use in a lot of cases.  It's like judo -- you use your 'opponent's' weight against him.  Best analogy I can come up with at the moment....

That's not at all what I meant.  I was just commenting on the longevity of the steel.  It's fine for us mere mortals who can't plane wood continuously for 16 hours. 

I actually find long planes less fatiguing to use in a lot of cases.  It's like judo -- you use your 'opponent's' weight against him.  Best analogy I can come up with at the moment....

I was thinking the same thing and as a fellow judoka you hit the nail on the head with your analogy.it isn't terribly fatiguing to use. The weight. Of the plane actually helps .