DeWalt DW735 Planer Blade Change ???

chefmagnus@grics.net

I recently flipped the blades on my planer to mill up some ebony and purple heart. Both super hard woods so I wanted fresh blades as to get them milled up as quickly as possible with the little waste as possible. But it took a heavy toll on the blades, I would say that they are 75% gone. The blades that I had flipped were about half gone but had a chip out about 1/3 of a inch from the right side. Easy enough to work around. 

This weekend I am going to plane up gods knows what from a set of pallets from the pipe yard, steel yard, and the motorcycle dealer. Is it best to make the other side of these blades just for pallets since it has a chip and still fairly sharp. Or just leave things alone and use up this side cause I doubt that they last through the pile that I have that needs planed then flip them and use as much of that side just remember the chip.

I have had my 8" planer for over 7 years and have yet to have to replace a tooth on my helical head. Well work the extra cost. I have had to rotate a new face after a hidden .22 bullet in a board but on a whole tooth... 

I think that I have some snake wood from a pallet of pipe that the tag says came from Guyana but I will have to see how it looks after clean up. But mostly oak, maple, popular, and birch or beech. 

Chef

Snakewood would be quite a score!  that stuff is awesome, and also fairly dense.

On your blade question....if it was me, I would use the "mostly gone" side for the pallets since you never know what's in them.  If the side with the chip in them still has life, then flip back to them for and final surfacing that needs to be done - and position the pieces to avoid the chip.  Or just deal with it and take off any remaining lines with a card scraper.

I see you have a helical cutter on your planer. Nice!  I put a Shelix in my 735 and have not had to even worry about rotating an insert yet.  

• Like 1