Please help me choose a contractor's saw

Dewald Swanepoel

Good heavens but I find this exercise frustrating. I am trying to get a table saw but being only an amateur woodworker that does the occasional weekend project, I really can't justify spending the obscene amounts of money that would be required for a proper table saw.

What makes it really frustrating is that it seems our options here in South Africa are terribly limited. The real cheapos are readily available (like this Ryobi and this Ryobi). I'm a bit allergic to Ryobi though and, having seen these two particular models, they look rickety and poor quality even to an untrained eye like mine.

I'm willing to spend more than that but there seems to be a gap in product availability right around the price that I have in mind. Sadly, the DeWalts and the Bosch's are about twice as much as I can afford - even though, if I convert their Dollar value published prices to local currency, they'd have been perfect buys.

Enough rambling, all this rambling didn't even make me feel better. So there are basically three options, the way I see it.

Makita MLT100 - I know and trust the name but I've seen a number of scathing reviews of this particular model.

Scheppach HS120 - I've never heard of it but it's German so I'm tempted to believe that it might be decent quality.

INGCO TS15008 - What on earth? I've never heard of this brand and I can find very little info online. Superficially, it looks nice though but I'll have to go have a proper look at it before I will know. What do I look for though?

I would appreciate any help here as I'm beginning to think that I'm not going to get a decent saw for my budget. Looks like I'm having to choose between the best of the crappy saws.

I would avoid the one that looks like it has an adult diaper falling off under it. I would say go somewhere you can put your hands on them and go through the motions of making cuts, Then buy the one that suits you, Do you have a craigslist on the bottom of the world? Save a bundle and buy nearly new....

Chef

Thanks and yes, there's no way I'd buy a saw without laying my hands on it first. I have been scouring our local versions of Craigslist as well and there are a number of options that look like they might be good buys, like this one or even this one (I can do with a planer as well) - but I am terribly nervous on this terrain. What do I know of table saws? I could buy a lemon and wouldn't know it.

As a matter of interest, why would you say that you'd avoid the one that has an adult diaper falling off under it? Is it because of that diaper-like dust bag or for some other reason pertaining to that saw? I haven't seen it in the "flesh" yet but the pictures look like it's the same kind of saw design as the Makita.

Of the units you have listed, I would favor the used one. It has a large cast iron top, and more power than the table-top models. The fence is also likely to be much better.

When looking at a used saw, check for obvious abuse, pitted rust, and broken or missing parts. That saw is old enough that it does not appear to have a riving knife, but doesn't look so old that it would not have originally had a blade guard. Take a known good square with you, and check that the blade is parallel to the miter slot, and that the fence is parallel to tbe blade. That style of saw should have adjustments to correct for squareness, whereas the table top models may not. Make sure the fence moves easily but locks tightly and doesn't flex. Check the blade for wobble. Run the saw and feel for vibration or excessive noise.

If you decide to go with a new benchtop saw, I like the looks of that German model.

• Like 1

Hi Folks

I have been lurking for a while, and finally feel I may be able to contribute something worthwhile.

The Ryobi  models are both a little plasticky and are not really up to much (have had one). The small Makita saw is good, but is small. The two used models you list look OK - the first looks a little lightweight but is, at least, belt driven so is an induction (not universal as stated) motor. The model with the planer alongside looks better made, for sure, but looks like a small table. I do have some experience with this sort of saw having used a version of the US Shopsmith saw, bolted onto a lathe body. The size is limiting. Not for me.

The Scheppach is reasonable. I had an Elektra Beckum version of what was essentially the same saw. It has, again, induction motor so is going to be more powerful, reliable and very much quieter. This would be a factor for me. It is, however, not a very precise saw. I think the US definition of a contractor saw and the UK version differ substantially. A UK contractor saw is usually a pressed steel saw, lightweight, made for transporting to a site. A US version seems to be heavier, with cast iron and more weight. 

I was in a similar situation some time ago and managed to get by until I found an old Wadkin (large heavy cast iron saw) which is fantastic. I paid £60, There must be something similar available to you if you search.(Although you may have to pay a bit more). A good table saw is something that makes a huge difference to your work. I would take time and get it right.

Hope this helps.

Neil

PS - sorry - don't know the Ingko. Doesn't look good to me though. Highlander has the idea, I think.

Edited as corrected by Highlander

• Like 1

Agree with Applewood. Too small for comfort OR safety!

A comment on Neilrc's post, his terminolgy for electric motors is different from what I was taught. 'Universal' motors have brushes and commutators, and are capable of runninh on AC or DC current of the same voltage. This type of motor is often used in tabletop saw that mount the blade directly to the motor shaft.

'Induction' motors have no brushes and run on AC current only. They are quieter, generally made in more powerful sizes, and are what most contractor or cabinet saws will have. These saws will also use a belt drive, which reduces noise and vibration even more.

Thanks a whole bunch for all the advice, folks. From all your feedback I was starting to think that I should rather put it off until I can afford something better, rather than rushing the purchase now. That is until I saw this Rockwell Delta combination saw / planer in the classifieds which I think will be my last consideration before I drop the plans for a table saw for now.

15efqzl.jpg

aep9b8.jpg

svmosy.jpg

It just looks like it might be a decent buy. The price is slightly over my budget but I'm going over there this Saturday to inspect the machine and see if I can negotiate the price down a little. If this doesn't play out to be a good buy I think I'll just forget about a table saw for now and rather spend the money on a drill press which is another machine I could really do with.

Is there anything about the above pics perhaps that make your skin crawl or make you nod your head? Always interested in your thoughts.

There is no guard on the jointer/ planer to cover the blades. It looks like both tools spin whenever the motor is on. You can lower the tablesaw blade but spinning jointer knives should have a guard.

There are no wings on the tablesaw which makes the top a bit small.

Thanks, I'll definitely bear that in mind. Do you think a blade cover is something one might be able to devise yourself or is it just not worth the effort?

Looks like a lot of work to me and more trouble than it is worth. It actually looks like a skeleton compared to what it should look like. The drive belt hasn't got a guard either.

The Scheppach range is well known in Europe but that particular one looks flimsy to me. It might just be the open framework and sheet steel construction that gives me that impression. The power rating is decent though and it has a large diameter blade. Might be worth a closer look.

The Makita looks a little underpowered and from memory I think you can buy a stand (on wheels) for it too.

Never heard of the Ingco but it looks like a site saw again underpowered probably originating in the far east.

Do you have any woodworking supply places that specialize in machinery to suit all pockets? Best to look and feel before you buy especially when they start getting expensive.

• Like 1

It is small. Check the blade diameter and you will likely find 9" which is slightly more expensive as slightly non-standard. The arbor will not recieve a dado stack if you ever envision using those. The miter slots are square so you lose some of the functionality of T-slot assesories. The jointer to one side really forces use of only one side except for small items. The belts are easy to move but must be moved to keep both machines from spinning at the same time. No true riving knife means after market splitters at best. The jointer is very short.

None of this is a death to the machine. I deal with it. It is a lot of dealing though with newer machines out there. Consider this a mixed review. I have one—but next time I'll do better. Make sense?