Cork Oak Wood

Patricio Wise

I would like to know as well I have found a few examples of turned cork wood and I can see Rays in it like most oak have I would guess it comparable to oak. I say take it strip the bark for yourself and then cut into boards and blocks for turning. Might be worth it.

Usually cork oak trees have the bark(cork) harvested every few years , so a tree that is not producing may be cut down. Or maybe it was a cork oak growing outside of a commercial setting? Oak is still oak. Should be strong timber no matter what. Live oaks are incredibly long lived trees and were prized for ship building. They grow in warmer climates like the cork oak so there may be some similarities in the wood.

Have you looked at hobbithouse ? They have lots of strange wood info and pictures.

Quercus suber

It's also referred to as Turkey oak or Turkish oak. It is neither a red oak nor a white oak. The timber seems to be quite uncommon.

I found a picture of a cross section on Wikipedia, it looks more like a white or live oak than red oak in appearance.

1200 Janka hardness means it's some fairly tough wood.

Usually cork oak trees have the bark(cork) harvested every few years , so a tree that is not producing may be cut down. Or maybe it was a cork oak growing outside of a commercial setting? Oak is still oak. Should be strong timber no matter what. Live oaks are incredibly long lived trees and were prized for ship building. They grow in warmer climates like the cork oak so there may be some similarities in the wood.

Have you looked at hobbithouse ? They have lots of strange wood info and pictures.

Steve, have you ever worked with live oak?