First attempt at routering is a fail...

chefmagnus@grics.net

Never put a bit too deep in the collet. Always pull it up just a little from being bottomed out. I always tighten the bit and then tug on it to make sure it's tight. Watch the cutting edges , you can slice a fingertip.

If you put a bit in too deep the collet can tighten to the curved part that transitions to the wings and cutting edges.

Also don't pull a bit too far out, at least 2/3 rds of the shank should be in the collet.

• Like 2

I was trying to use the 1/2" shaft pattern bit in a DW628 plunge router. I don't believe that a 1/2" shaft will go into a 1/4" collet. I may have put it all the way in and tight to the curved part of the bit. I have been looking for over an hour and have not found the bit. I have a long day tomorrow so I am giving up for tonight. Do bits bounce?

I am hoping my friend Josh can hire his 17 and 19 yr old cousins and we can get them to all the lifting. We hope to get the big stuff onto pallets, the very ones that I had planned to cut up this weekend. Then use his power pallet jack to get them onto the lift gate and into his truck. He is a contract truck driver for CAT so he has a nice truck but he can only sign it out for 12-14 hours on Saturday. I know that I called it a pickup but that isn't correct. It is a F550 in the front and a box with a lift gate on the back...

<First attempt at routering is a fail...

<new pattern bit

To clarify: your first attempt at routing was pattern-routing with WN's BigDaddy?? Or you've got lots of experience using a router, but this was the first time using that bit?? You tell from my question that I hope its the latter and not the former...

A bit released from a collet typically travels between 100 and 200MPH depending on speed setting. As mentioned, the bit can skiddle, climb walls, etc and end-up in the most unlikely places... No matter where you find it, you'll prabably need to send it out for sharpening. Send WM an email and get the name of the sharpening service he uses for the bit -- it's the same place that makes-them-up for him... While most (if not all) sharpening services can 'sharpen' router bits, the BigDaddy has more in commin with a mill.

I got a CMT pattern bit that was 3/4" diameter with a 2" length cutters. The whole bit was about 3-1/4". My guess that it was about a quarter pound. I will attach a link to one like it.

Was this a poor choice for first bit to try and router with for a first time...

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-812-691-11B-Pattern-Diameter-Carbide-Tipped/dp/B000P4HN3I/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1414213040&sr=1-8&keywords=3%2F4%22+pattern+bit#productDetails

To clarify: your first attempt at routing was pattern-routing with WN's BigDaddy?? Or you've got lots of experience using a router, but this was the first time using that bit?? You tell from my question that I hope its the latter and not the former...

A bit released from a collet typically travels between 100 and 200MPH depending on speed setting. As mentioned, the bit can skiddle, climb walls, etc and end-up in the most unlikely places... No matter where you find it, you'll prabably need to send it out for sharpening. Send WM an email and get the name of the sharpening service he uses for the bit -- it's the same place that makes-them-up for him... While most (if not all) sharpening services can 'sharpen' router bits, the BigDaddy has more in commin with a mill.

Ummm, I think you are mixing up two different threads posted by two different people!

Yea, think you're right... Need to clarify my clarification :)

The question on the Ng bit was another thread -- you're quite correct, I read pattern-bit and incorrectly crossed my wires -- I suspect red wine and posting don't mix :)

I've got the Ng bit and a few others of similar style... If you get them sharpened, you need a service that can handle milling gear. Ng uses the guy that makes the bit as a sharpening service...

Suppose my concern was peeked by what sounded like a new woodworker attempting profile/template rounting without a router table or requisite experience...

• Like 1

I watched about 10 videos before I  tried using the router. I admit that I may have forgotten to pull it back out a bit. I did tighten and I was unable to turn the bit with pin pushed in. So it was in there fairly tight. After watching Marc's Festool router table maybe not tight enough.

I looked again tonight as we unloaded Josh's truck but I did not find the missing pattern bit. No holes in anything either.

I do now have two router tables and a mount in the side table of the Unisaw. The mount on the side table had a Hitachi router in it.  Bill's dad had just gotten a Festool table and OF-2200 on Aug 4th. Wow! $2-1/2K for a router and table.  He also had a INCRA table. We really had trouble getting getting everything we brought home into my shop but we just put stuff on the floor and didn't put it away. The Festool table looks like it will only work with their router were as the INCRA had a P/C router on it. The wife counted and we now have 106 router bits. They are all white or red orange. He also put a piece of wood through the router with the bit in it then drilled a hole in it and placed the bit in the hole. So I have a sample of each bit.

The first post in this thread gives me pucker of 9.65 out of 10.  Good Lord, be careful with that thing.  Norm's words sound obvious when he speaks them...but truth there.

That's a record for the pucker meter in my time on WTO...

I am reminded of Particle Board's post of the guy who lost a lower leg from a panel raising bit.... time to go find the baby wipes and new drawers.

Whoa whoa...  Link?

Watch this guy. You may not be building guitars, but this guy is one of my favorite people to watch. He's safe, he's smart, and his work speaks for itself. He also has great "demonstration" video's and isn't dry and boring like a lot of the "how-to" video's. 

He shows everything in this particular video, minus installing your bits in your router. 

edit: as well... if your router bit hit the floor, consider it dead already. Even a small chip or microscopic crack you cant see can cause serious serious problems. (imagine if the bit itself is damaged and you dont see it, and you spin it up to 30k rpm. What do you think will happen when you touch t he bit to the wood? Its not pretty).