Shop Layout

chefmagnus@grics.net

Totally worth the insurance cost in my opinion. In the modern age photo and video are your friend. Take a digital camera through the shop every six months to a year for your records to prove ownership. Get one time close ups of serial numbers. Feels like a lot of work but I have seen this save families in big ways. Does not hurt to do this in the house also.

OK I am going to just start listing tools. I have a person coming to add to replace my breaker box and add all the 240 lines that we pulled out of Paul's shop. Since I am going to 200 amps, I am going to get  a second and third meters. The third is for my commercial catering kitchen in the basement of my house. I found out for less than a couple hundred dollars I can have the extra meters. 

Tools:

Rockwell 10" 3 HP Unisaw No. 34-466 fence goes 108" right & 28" left w/ outfeed table has router in right end of table so it is a aircraft carrier

DeWalt 746 10" Table Saw

General International 30-360HCM1 5 HP 20-Inch planer

Delta 3/4" 7HP Shaper w/ Power Feeder

DeWalt DW735 planer 

DeWalt DW734 planer

JET JWBS-18QT-3 18" 3HP Bandsaw

Delta 28-299 1 HP 14" w/riser kit Bandsaw 

Jet JJ-8HH 2 HP 8" Jointer

Delta 17-950L 1-3/4 HP Drill Press

Jet DC-1200-CK Dust Collector 2 HP

Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector 1.5 HP

Workbench 96x22x34"

Assemble Torsion Box Table 96x48x34" 

(2)24x28x96" Rolling tool cabinets

Rolling Lumber Rack 6 levels 48x96x96

Festool CMS Router Table

Festool MFT/3

INCRA Router Table

Rolling Clap Rack 48x36"x96"

Bit & Cutter Storage Stand 36x36x75"

Rolling Storage Cabinet 24x28x86"

2 36" diameter by 48" trash cans

I know that I may have missed things but nothing is set in place yet. I would like the bench need the window. The back porch is now filled with wood from floor to ceiling. 

Paul, Bill's dad, didn't mess around when it came to anything that he cared about. He had a 1951 Mercury that is close to a showroom as a restored car as I have ever seen. If the bank agrees I am going to try and buy  it from Bill. He also had a 1966 Pontiac GTO  He made black walnut dashboards for both. I now found the templates. The only vehicle that I had ever seen Paul drive was a 1970's POS F-150 pickup that had a rusted out floor on the passenger side that he covered with a piece of marine plywood.  But I don't think that many knew him that well, I knew him from my best friend Bill. Bill now lives out of a luxury motor coach with his wife,Rita, and full size poodle, Lord Nelson. He wants to hurry up and get his dad's house sold before all the new property taxes hit on Jan 1. 

I got to know Paul better when he broke his hip two years ago. The wife and I would do his shopping for him. Paul had been a widower for 28 years. He died at the age of 99. He had been saying lately that if he wanted something he was going to buy it because he doubted that he was going to out live his money. 

He had one son Bill my best friend since the second hour of boot where we tied for the most push ups in the first month, second month, and if another guy hadn't gone crazy we would have been in the running for the whole cycle. I grad first and he was second. 

Well, we have tonight off from the shop cause we are going on a haunted steam train ride. Hope it is fun, if not I am taking a flask of Larceny so I won't care.

I am thinking about smoking a whole hog and putting up a notice about it at the local wood and tool stores. All I ask that everyone that comes takes some time to tell me about at least one of my new tools. Would you come to something like this say on a Saturday or a Sunday.

Sounds like a party to me! If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be there!

I have to get approval from the wife unit. I know a farmer that has hogs for decent price. But I have been on a spending spree lately so she might have a different idea about a party for the shop. I just spent ~$200 on a drill press, $360 on new bench wood, $850 yesterday on the movers, $200 on new electric meters, and $200 on the electrician to put in the new box, wires, plugs, and breakers. It might be a month or two before there is coin in the purse for a shop party. But it will give it time for people to spread the word. Should be a rocking party.

I have been thinking about my shop layout. I want to have my workbench under the glass block wall where I get natural sunlight. I also want to have a "U" shaped workflow to the wood. So wood will come in the left garage door most of the time. Then to the jointer then the big planer or one of the lunch box style planers. Next the big band saw for resawing only. Dust collector #1. Then to a work table or lumber storage cart. I would like the assembly table and the table saws in the center of the garage. I am thinking more and more about putting them back to back so I could use the same outfeed table for both. Along the back wall shaper then router tables separated by the bit and blade storage pedestal then MFT/3. The next two machines will be the radial arm saw and the CMS that will share the same wall mounted bed for supporting the wood for cuts on the compound miter saw or the radial arm saw. Then using the same bench I would think the drill press. Along the right wall the small bandsaw then the mobile clamp rack. Then Paul's workbench then mine will be under the glass blocks, Next will be a tool cabinet. Dust collector #2 and the lathe then another tool cabinet, Next I was thinking about a lineman's style of tent with a filtered positive pressure air supply to be used as a finishing both if the air in it is filtered and the positive pressure keeps the dust out.  Under the center assembly table will be long clamp storage and the air compressor. There is also a router in the side table of the Unisaw. It is never going to all fit and I am going have to lose weight to fit between tools. I have tried putting tools into Sketchup but it crashes and says that it has a bug after three or four tools. 

How does this sound for a layout? This is a kind of napkin plan...