clamping wedges into a circle?

Brendon_t

I'm going to try my best here to describe what I'm seeing in my head. .

A friend asked me to refinish an old end table for him. It has a beautiful cast iron base but the top is trashed. I was thinking about cutting say 10* wedges 10 inches long and alternating between cheery and maple then gluing them up in a circle. I was thinking of ways to accomplish this.

1) glue up 3 or 4 at a time using cut blocks to get straight clamping ppressure but then what?

If the final clue up, I am wondering if I get everything set up right with a slow setting glue if a ratchet strap along the outside would provide enough pressure for strong glue joints. .

Search out segmented turning videos about glue up but the basic process is you glue up two half circles, sand them flat, then glue those together. Seconding the recommendation on Frank Howarth. 

But! You mention this is a table so presumably you want a round disc and not a donut, that will present some problems. If all the wedges meet in the center, expansion and contraction will open a hole in the middle. If you try to insert a solid piece of wood in the center then you will have problems with the wood going oval and/or opening up. The best way to do this is with veneer on a stable substrate like plywood.

• Like 1

These are pictures of how I made a segmented vase using a scroll saw. I know that it is not the same thing that you are doing but, it might give you an idea or two.

Bowls001_zps2d97e9ae.jpg

Bowls002_zpsd79ee207.jpg

Bowls004_zps2a5ad6be.jpg

The woods are maple, walnut and cherry and I ended up with three separate pieces before cutting them into circles (which you don't need).   They measure about 10" square so, they are about 1/2 of the size you need.

I used tape and various clamps to glue the segments together. First in pairs then added a third piece to make 1/4 of the over all square and then make two halves and finally the whole square. The hole in the center is 1/2" diameter and then plugged with a piece cut with a plug cutter for relief where the center points will meet. 

Here is the completed vase.....

Finishedvase003_zps17da400f.jpg

Rog