Bandsaw Blade width

tkpunk

Ok, I picked up the Crafstman re-branded Rikon 10-321 on sale for like $300 at Sears a while ago. It's my first bandsaw, so I'm doing some playing around and getting the feel of it. According to the manuals for both the Craftsman and Rikon branded versions, the minimum blade width is 1/4". I understand that 1/8" or 3/16" allow you to do tighter curves. So, what's the risk of putting one of these smaller blades on a machine that's not supposed to take them? Is it a danger of the blade flying off the wheels? Will I burst into flames?

Thanks

Terrence

If the minimum sized blade is specced as 1/4" blade then that's the smallest it can take. You can get tight radii on 1/4" blades. If you want even tighter then a scroll saw is good as long as you are not cutting 6" thick. I have a scroll saw that is ok upto about 5/8 thick stock.

Very thin bandsaw blades have a habit of breaking as soon as you start breathing near them too :)

If you replace your roller guides with cool blocks I bet you could get away with it.  They're more adjustable and therefore versatile when it comes to blade sizes and providing adequate support.  I'm not suggesting you do that, but I'm assuming, like Steve said, the limitation is in the guides and not elsewhere on the saw.  I have a 3/16" blade on my 14-12 and it's fine.  Do be careful about the tension, because Terry is right about them tending to snap.  If you're tuned up right you won't need all that much tension.

All depends on what sort of blade guides are on the saws. I wouldn't try anything too small on the Jet but I upgraded the guides on my 14" Delta to ball bearing guides made by Carter( aftermarket accessories ) it tracks the blade much better now. I haven't tried anything smaller than1/4 blades but they track just fine.

I have looked and both of may band saws have ball bearing guides. Amazon has blades down to 1/8" for the Delta and 3/16 for the Jet" I check and I can spin a piece of wood with the 1/4" blade that is on the Delta and cut out a circle the size of on of the wheels for the grasshopper. Mind you this is cutting a piece of hardboard. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, tangential update on this. Haven't tried anything smaller than the 1/4" blade. But I did pick up some Cool Blocks for the Rikon clone. They're generic "Imported 14-Inch Band Saw" blocks, {pic attached|. All the installation instructions I can find seem to be for replacing other block guides, not bearings like the Rikon clone has (pic attached). I feel like I can relatively easily just drill a hole through the blocks and mount them on the little cylinder for the bearing, but am I missing something?

Blocks:http://imgur.com/VhBM81o,lhPyfl6#0

My guides: http://imgur.com/VhBM81o,lhPyfl6#1

Ok, tangential update on this. Haven't tried anything smaller than the 1/4" blade. But I did pick up some Cool Blocks for the Rikon clone. They're generic "Imported 14-Inch Band Saw" blocks, {pic attached|. All the installation instructions I can find seem to be for replacing other block guides, not bearings like the Rikon clone has (pic attached). I feel like I can relatively easily just drill a hole through the blocks and mount them on the little cylinder for the bearing, but am I missing something?

Blocks:http://imgur.com/VhBM81o,lhPyfl6#0

My guides: http://imgur.com/VhBM81o,lhPyfl6#1

First you can't use cool blocks unless you change your entire guide assembly. Secondly cool blocks would not help to run a 3/16 no matter what you do. The reason you can't run smaller blades is because once you have all the guides adjusted properly any flex of the blade will push the teeth into the guide blocks or bearing, there is not enough blade width. Lastly "guide" is a generic term, the guides don't guide anything they limit flex and nothing more. To run small blades on your saw you need to replace your back bearing with a grooved bearing and omit the side bearings all together.