My Proposed Shop Layout

AstroDave

Hi Guys... I am a newbie and looking for advice on shop layout.  I have what I thought would be a good sized room to turn into my shop but as I fill it up I find I am very cramped.  Just in the beginning stage of clearing out and converting the space and getting electrical installed.

A few items have been purchased and others await purchase.  I have the bandsaw (Laguna 14-2), Laguna Dust Collector, Jet Air Filter, Rigid Oscillating Sander, 60" workbench that I need to upgrade.  Still need a newer tablesaw (have Rigid mobile contractor saw), Jointer, Planer, Router table and Drillpress.  Oh and I have the dog as well.  Although mine is a Corgi...couldn't find a Corgi sketchup model.

Planning to have mobile bases for whatever tools support them which I am hoping will solve some of my space issues.  Any advise is most appreciated.

P5vpaEQ.jpg?1  New space that needs to be converted

Jg4FhuD.jpg?1   Old workshop that will be cleaned out and used for wood storage and overflow

O14R1WI.jpg

post-16290-0-54530400-1414293329_thumb.j

Tell her that odd number of corgis is unlucky. Tell her that they can keep each other company.

Tell her that Scooter would have some one to frame when the bagel goes missing from the plate on the dining room table. Blue snagged a everything bagel with country ham and egg on it. I started to scold him and he looked at the 10 week old puppy with eyes saying, "It could have been the other dog." Only problem with this was that Blue had egg yolk on his muzzle and Sparx-E was maybe 6-1/2" tall. That was about the time that Sparx-E wanted to play with Blue 24-7, so Blue started picking him up by the harness and putting him into the trash can, laundry hamper, laundry basket, the bath tub, and even a shipping box filled with packing peanuts. 

I love to watch my guys run and bumble in the back yard and the hallway tonight. 

Good luck, Scooter needs a brother. 

Hi All...The electrician will be out on Friday to give me an estimate on bringing in a sub panel and putting in several 240 outlets.  I added all of my current and proposed equipment and came up with a max of ~63.5 amps. I used an article from Wood Magazine that provided a rough formula for calculating need as follows.

Highest amps x 1.25=25 + Simultaneous tool amps=38.5 + Continuous draw amps = requirement...(63.5)

I have 200amps coming into the house.  So should be able to pull a 60amp circuit over to the shop without too much trouble.  My lights and other miscellaneous items such as chargers and routers I should be able to run off of the existing circuits in the room.

My dust collector seems to be the biggest hog at 110v/20amps.  Seems fairly typical that that is the case for the dust collectors.  I am considering rewiring it to 240 if possible but can't find any details on the motor... It's a Laguna 1.5hp Cyclone.  Research would indicate that some motors can't be rewired so I may be stuck.

I am considering the rewire to reduce the amp load so I can run more than just my DC, Air Filtration system and tablesaw simultaneous without risk of tripping a breaker.  I am sure the qualified electrician will educate me on Friday :)

Sage advice most appreciated...even not so sage as i probably wouldn't recognize a sage if I saw one...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok just an update on the shop progress.  I've had two electricians out to give me estimates.  Only one has responded thus far and well... I must say I didn't expect the cost to be that high... 3.5K... However to be honest I had no idea what it should be and these guys come highly recommended from various independent referrals.  The second guy is licensed but is more of an shade-tree electrician so it will be interesting to see his bid.

Some progress has been made in clearing out the space for the new shop however.  The before and after pics...

P5vpaEQl.jpg?1

New shop location before

PAqXnrzl.jpg

New shop location after- carpet coming up...

Jg4FhuDl.jpg?1

Old shop location before

R2nfW0Dl.jpg

Old shop location after...full of furniture... anyone need a chair or two

Already started moving some of stuff into the shop but just to get it out of the living areas...wife insisted.  Guess she didn't like all this stuff around the bar :)  UuVpoual.jpg9tDwGczl.jpggP0zV0rl.jpg

So into the shop...N11ecjYl.jpg

Also I think I will be leaving the carpet padding down and just cut out the areas where the machines will be located.  Makes for very nice built-in fatigue mats...it's very thick and durable stuff.

aOL0WD7l.jpg

I will probably just tape it down in some areas and of course pull up the tack strips.  That's it until I get my new tools delivered and electric wired up.

One thing I am debating is the idea of keeping the carpet padding down as a fatigue mat.  Logically it makes sense to me but let me know if I'm missing something.  Well other than the wonderful color it adds to the shop :) 

Just thought of one downside...cleaning and finding parts on that wacky pattern will be difficult.  I wonder if I could seal it and paint it somehow...hmmm time for some research...I love research.

I'd lose the carpet padding.  It's gonna be a magnet for filth.  Concrete is brutal on the knees, but it cleans up nice.  Get some proper mats if you have old man pains, and put them in the places you stand most...in front of the table saw, bench, etc.  I had some for a while, but I found them to be a bit of a PITA.  So they're gone.  I'm not THAT old...yet.  I'm sure they'll make a return appearance eventually.

Thanks Eric... I think you're right on the mark and I will lose the padding.  Found some pretty decent prices on fatigue mats so I will be going that route.  Might paint the concrete a solid color after I test for moisture.  No old man pains yet but I am sure that by standing on concrete for hours I will develop them sooner rather than later.

Just a thought on the carpet...  I built my shop as a recording studio so, it had had carpet in it.  I covered that carpet with stick down linoleum so the sweep up is easy.  I do have intentions of changing it out one day but, for now, it's holding up well.

Looking good Dave.  Should be a good space.

Looks like it is a room in the house essentially off of you kitchen/living room.  

How do you plan on controlling the noise/dust issues from creeping out to the rest of the house?  I see the DC and the Jet air cleaner in the sketchup plans, what about the return air vents from the AC unit and the doors leading to the rest of the house?

Great questions... the room is in my basement and other than the DC and Air cleaner I hadn't considered the other issues.  Any advice is appreciated.  I can certainly put filters on the air vents but the door might be problematic.  They are french doors so the seal is not very good.

Great questions... the room is in my basement and other than the DC and Air cleaner I hadn't considered the other issues.  Any advice is appreciated.  I can certainly put filters on the air vents but the door might be problematic.  They are french doors so the seal is not very good.

I'm not the one to answer the questions unfortunately.  The two shops I've worked out of have been garage and stand alone.  

IMO the return air vent would be the biggest concern with the french doors coming in second.  For the doors, I think I've seen those plastic barriers with the magnetic strip down the middle that are designed to confine dust and stuff when doing construction on the house.  Can't for the life of me remember where I've seen them advertised, maybe Harbor Freight.  Similar to this:  http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/Magnetic-Dust-Barrier-Door-System-p13403.htm Could put it in front of the door for added dust protection.

I'm sure that there are several on here with basement garages that could help out with the return air vent issue.  I think if you dont do something to filter it, you'll end up with dust all over the house and an angry significant other.

• Like 1

My wife is very supportive of my efforts but she will definitely sour to it quickly if she begins to see dust every where.... She runs a very tight ship and keeps the house immaculate.  Bottom-line is that I will do whatever necessary to avoid that situation.