Lowe's lost...

Tpt life

This blew up on my Facebook page a while back and lots of folks came in to clarify the issue. They weren't being sued because 2x4's aren't 2x4. They were sued because they weren't even meeting the requirements for typical actual sizes for lumber. In other words, the 2x4s were LESS than 3 1/2" x 1 1/2". I kind of got sick of reading into the story and lost interest so I'm relying on the information of others for this. But when viewed from that lens, the whole things makes much more sense and this isn't just senseless litigation. 

I don't understand why Lowe's should be fined 1.4 M, they don't mill the lumber! Is the size of a 2 x 4 from Lowe's that much different than a 2 x 4 from any other suppler? 

The fault lies with the lumber mills in their measuring. They may get four or five more "2 x 4,s" out of a log by cutting the lumber so that after drying and finishing they end up with 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" to make more money out of each log. So as in everything else...LOOK FOR THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR and where it ends up.

Lawyers rule the world! And if you don't believe me, just ask them. As said before "McDonald's TOO hot coffee" comes to mind.

Rant over.

Rog

Metric?? No different guys - you still dont get what is advertised. 50 x 100 mm the equiv of 2 x 4" actually measures 44 x 95 mm

The difference is the first figures are quoted as "nominal" the second set "finished"

Thats regardless if you want planed or rough sawn. Very irritating for the buyer.

Maybe a mistake for me to reference McD if you don't know the back story. The suit was brought by employees and not by the woman scalded because of reporting that had followed a prior study. There is much "more to the story."

I hope Marc is right and thank you Marc for adding that. The only response I have for this is that as a framer, I always verified off of the pallet. Different mills and usage do lead to different actual that "average" 1.5 x 3.5 Treated typically runs over, SYP even, Spruce even, and Fir under. Fir studding on a treated plate requires planning. The ruling from the judge makes sense except for the damages to me unless there was planned fraud.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Lowe's should be fined 1.4 M, they don't mill the lumber! Is the size of a 2 x 4 from Lowe's that much different than a 2 x 4 from any other suppler?

The fault lies with the lumber mills in their measuring. They may get four or five more "2 x 4,s" out of a log by cutting the lumber so that after drying and finishing they end up with 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" to make more money out of each log. So as in everything else...LOOK FOR THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR and where it ends up.

Lawyers rule the world! And if you don't believe me, just ask them. As said before "McDonald's TOO hot coffee" comes to mind.

Rant over.

Rog

Sorry, but this isn't true.

The company selling the goods is wholly responsible for ensuring the product meets specifications. Don't believe me? When's the last time you say a KB toys? They went bankrupt fighting lead paint issue on Thomas the train toys made in China. Not their product, they simply sold the item.

Same for Dell computers. They got the snot sued out of them because their computer mouses contained materials known to cause cancer in California.

The list goes on.

==>That's even more ridiculous than the McDonald's coffee.

==>The suit was brought by employees and not by the woman scalded

Kiki is refering to Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants. While seeimingly funny at the time, what wasn't made clear was that Ms. Liebeck received 3rd degree burns over much of her pelvic region and required a total of eight (I think) skin graft procedures plus about a month of hospitalization. If you've never seen burn patients presenting, her intake photos would be quite disturbing... She only saught reimbursement of her medical costs (around $20K?), McDs offered $800. The court-appointed mediator recomended around $250K, McD refused all negociations. Jury awarded $2.8M, was ultimatly setteled for about $300K... The rest, shall we say, is history...

It also matters when you're building on both sides of the wall you're building....closets, showers, etc.

A few years ago I started buying framing material from them because their stock is usually dryer than HD.  

Then I noticed the discrepancy when it came time to close in my shower and closet.  It's fun shimming entire walls.

Lowe's should have made sure their product made specs.  

I'd like to get some of that money for time I spent making my walls right.

Of course I should have known and checked them before using them.  

You gotta check 2X4s for framing too!!!   :lol:   

I saw the documentary on the McDonalds suit and I know the story.  But still, she did spill it on herself, and coffee IS supposed to be hot.  I mean really...

But I won't say any more as this thing can almost be twisted into politics through the back door.

I guess I'll defer to Kramer and Jackie Chiles on this one...

The lawsuit was brought by prosecutors from several counties.....meaning no consumer will see a dime of it. I looked up some articles and they indicate lowes was cooperative.

Interestingly....I wonder what the impact would be on construction inspections for the fact that walls would be, technically, out of code....

I saw the documentary on the McDonalds suit and I know the story. But still, she did spill it on herself, and coffee IS supposed to be hot. I mean really...

But I won't say any more as this thing can almost be twisted into politics through the back door.

I guess I'll defer to Kramer and Jackie Chiles on this one...

In my opinion, the biggest crime is that coffee tastes like burned donkey when you get it volcano hot like McDonald's used to.

Make that, burned dookey... But donkey is pretty funny.