Edge banding

Dnorris1369

Can anyone recommend where I could get some good edge banding and what kind to get. I have never used it before. I am trying to cover up some plywood ends and need something really thin. I made a boo boo building an entertainment center and have a couple exposed edges i need to fix. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edgemate is a decent brand. Do you have any cabinet supply places in your town ? Woodworkers Supply should sell it online.

When I use iron on edgeband I closely inspect the roll and try to cut around the splices. They are kinda zigzag shaped and don't always finish as nicely. Sometimes it's a challenge for really long edges.

Yes, it is iron on. Woodworkers Supply carries 50 ft and 250 ft rolls . You can use a regular iron but you should practice before you try it on your entertainment center. You can trim it with an Xacto but be careful and practice first. The little tool that you squeeze and slide along the edge trims both sides at once, it's woth the investment !

When I hand apply iron on edgeband you have to move slow enough to melt the glue but not so slow you scorch the veneer. Then I use a block of wood with all the corners rounded off to rub and make sure there is real good contact. Let it cool completely before you try to trim it.

From the best to the worst its all pretty similar . Some of the better edgeband trims easier or irons down a little better. But most of those differences show up when you are using a edgeband machine. Careful hand application and sharp tools to trim will work with most edgeband. Watch out for the zig zag joints, those can be damn near invisible at times, until some stain gets on it and it looks awful !

In production finishing they behave much differently than the way most of us use stains and finishes. Like I have said many times practice and make test finish samples before you try something on a project you have a lot of time invested in !

Joe Woodworker or even Rockler has decent edge banding. The HD and Lowes stuff is good for starting fires but thats about it. When buying edge banding look at the side of the roll. The glue should be visible, fluffy for lack of a better word. Don't waste your time with goofy trimmers. Those trimmers were a poor alternative made back when edge banding machines spitting out miles of melamine used carbide knives. A trim router is the perfect tool for the job. The only issue is the bearing will gum up every so often and will need to be cleaned. If you don't have a trim router a single edge razor blade beat into a wooden block will work. Just beat it in at a slight angle and use the block as your guide, you do have to pry off the guard from the back edge of the razor after you beat it in.