Is my collet cooked?

rodger.

Of my three routers, I have a 2 1/4 HP Dewalt that I use for hand held use.  It has three interchangeable bases (plunge, D Handle, standard) and is a great router.

I have been using this router for years, and it has been a good tool.  I typically use it for any handheld operation, but one of the most typical for me is using it for template routing with a bushing.

I was making a few cutting boards, so I made a 1/4" hardboard template for doing the handles a while back.  The handles are about 1" deep, and 3" wide.  I set up a 1/4" bit and matching bushing in the my router to rout the recess.  I take three passes, using the turret stops on the router plunge base.

Anyways, I was routing away like I always do.  The router started cutting irregularly, and it just didnt feel right.  I stopped the motor and waited for it to "wind down".  When I lifted the router, the bit fell out!  I was flabbergasted.  So I went to take the base off, and the motor was so hot it burned my hand.

I waited a while for it to cool down, and reinstalled the bit.  I did the typical stuff (didnt bottom out the bit, tightened the collet well, etc).  I ran the router again and same thing!  Only this time the bit was "blued".

What the heck happened?  Ill take a snap of the bit and add the post in a few minutes.  The bit is relatively new,1/2" shank, and from Lee Valley.  The material being cut was hardwood, but i wasnt taking deep passes at all.  I have perfomed this exact operation many times.