Lumber Storage?

chefmagnus@grics.net

Here is a picture of the loft of Paul's(gentleman's who died) barn.

We stacked this wood onto pallets into my 16'x20' shed. Filling it. I moved mowers and such to garden shed. The over flow from the shed went into the open rafters of my shop. I know a terrible way to store it but what I have right now. The loft wood tested 14-16% moisture and was what I called dry. 

The lumber that was in the stalls on the first floor of the barn tested 28-35% moisture (Wet and drying) and had signs on it for it being from this spring and last summer. We stacked this lumber onto my open 14x39' porch. We used the same sticks to sticker(right word?) but no one remember if the 1" or 2" side when up. We went with the 2" side flat and 1" side up to fit more into the porch. The helpers covered over my door from the shop to the porch. It is a out swing door so I can't open it. I can get to the ends of the stack from outside and the kitchen door that opens in. 

We put all the thicker pieces onto my trailer and parked it under the car port at my wife's great aunt's house covered with a tarp. These included over 100 yellow to orange pine floor boards that are 7/4. They are massive at 12-16' long and all are just under 16" wide. The note on the says that they came from the Termont Catholic church but my wife says that she hasn't know of there being a Catholic church in the last 70 years.

The exotic wood that he had standing on end inside his house we placed on the 4x8x8' rolling lumber cart and put it into the shop. 

So Chef has wood. How should I store all of it? I have my screened back porch 14x38x10', big shed 16x20x10', rafters over my shop, the attic over my house but wife and daughter uses that space for yoga and won't give it up without a fight. I have stacked boxes of flooring up there until I could install it. Huge PIA.  The wife did not mind cause she is short and could live with 6' ceilings. My basement has a unfinished room that is 24x16' that was my daughter's rainy day play area. She is now 11 and doesn't use it. But again a huge PIA to get to.  We have a open slot in our four car garage but I have plans for the space.

Also there were hundreds of 2"x4"x36" pieces of maple, cherry, red oak, and walnut, they were labeled as blanxs. Anyone know what this means?

What would you do? What have I done wrong? Have I done anything right?

Wow, that is a lifetime of wood there!  The term blanks could mean anything. I tend to think of turning blanks, but the size isn't right.  I just recently built a lumber rack that is similar to the one Marc showed a few years ago, which is a wall mounted rack.  In your case, I am not certain that would sufficient.  I would consider freestanding storage similar to what he had for storage.  

2" x 4" x 36" could be gunstock blanks. I'm just guessing cause I never have made one.

The 1" tall and 2" wide is the right way to sticker the lumber.

Unless you see using some of the huge pine planks for a certain project you could look for a contractor who does restoration to very old buildings. I bet they would pay dearly for old growth stock like that. I think Tom King does old homes in the Carolinas, he might know how to find you a buyer.

Why is it bad to store in the rafters ? 90 percent of my lumber is stored on ceiling racks two feet off my vaulted shop ceiling

Its not about where. Its about stability attic spaces are usually not stable but most shops aren't either. Use what you have just be sure to acclimate as you use it.